1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman refuses Disney head scarf alternative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

UNITE HERE is a radical union. They don't look for compromise, they look for conflict.

They've been striking against the Congress Hotel in Chicago for seven years.

They've staged wildcat walkouts against the Hyatt Regency on Wacker in Chicago and they've voted to authorize a strike against the four Hilton properties here.

They are very media savvy.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is it really intolerance?

Disney views the park as an "onstage" area. Employees wear "costumes." If you're working on the Matterhorn you are supposed to look like you are at a Swiss chalet. If you are working at Pirates of the Caribbean you are supposed to look like a pirate. If you are wearing a hijab it spoils the illusion.

Let's say you're an actor, and you get a role in a stage performance of "Fiddler on the Roof." When Ramadan rolls around you demand to wear your hijab onstage. Is it intolerant if the director says no?

Seems to me Disney offered her a reasonable accommodation. I don't suspect she was interested in reaching a reasonable compromise.

3. YankeeFan

As long as she didn't wear a Colts jersey, I don't know why anyone is upset.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah. If you think this is sniping, Piotr, then you've apparently forgotten what the bad old days around here were like. :)

It's actually been a pretty respectful discussion, I thought. Nobody's taken any potshots at each other, save for one of the usual suspects. It's an emotional issue, and there are passionate people on both sides. As long as we can agree to disagree, it should all be good.

5. YankeeFan

LA Times editorial takes the side of Disney:

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This was probably someone on the copy desk looking for something to fit the newshole close to deadline. Why else run it five days later?

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I want to know more about the head covering to be designed by the Disney costume department. Was it in some way defective, or did she just want to wear her own?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Only if it's Halal :)

9. YankeeFan

I think one of the articles I linked to said that Disney never completed the alternate head scarf.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Indeed, employees are referred to as "cast members," no matter what job they have. Even the Disney store at your local suburban mall has cast members rather than employees.

Sorry, this person was just looking for trouble. They tried to accommodate her, and she declined the accommodation. If she signed the acknowledgement of policy banning religious symbols, etc., she simply needs to STFU.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

12. She was a hostess at a restaurant - not on stage. I understand the illusion Disney attempts to create that the entire park is a show, but even Disney has acknowledged in recent animated films that not all princesses are white. God forbid there is diversity in human life.
    Yeah, she might have been spoiling for a fight, but like a bully, Disney was ripe to be punched back.
    In the climate that currently exists, I can understand anyone with a Muslim background to be a little tired of the ignorance toward the religion that not only festers, but gains ground.
    People on this site are always bitching about the narrow-mindedness and inflexibility shown them by their "shop" or managers.
    I think there would be a bit more sympathy toward someone else who was tired of it as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted