1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman refuses Disney head scarf alternative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go on...

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Are you a woman?

3. YankeeFan

No, but I know lots of 'em. You might be surprised to know that my mom is a woman.

Besides, I clearly said that I "didn't" understand why a woman would put up with crap like that from a man.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have this term in Canada called "reasonable accomodation". Here's as good a summary as I can find in Wik. I've edited it but it's basically unchanged:

It ties in with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and simply, it's a theory that equality rights set out in provincial and federal anti-discrimination laws and in section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms demand that accommodation be made to various minorities.

For example, it allows Muslim women to be allowed to vote in all upcoming national elections, byelections and referendums without showing their faces

The same policy applies to all Canadians under federal Bill C-31, in that photo ID is not strictly required, if two other pieces of acceptable official ID are provided, or another voter vouches for them.

There have been problems--mostly in Quebec--but it's pretty much been a standard for anti-discrimination cases and that applies to what might be perceived as discrimination at the corporate level as well.

Under this, Disney would likely (but not necessarily) have a problem with the decision on this woman.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How 'bout you provide some reliable stats, or maybe a bar graph or an awesome pie chart to prove you're not a moron?

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It doesn't matter how many women you know. The argument that men know what women would/should/can/ought to do because they have a mother and know lots of women is a lame argument. Of course you don't understand. It's not something a man could ever understand. And you didn't phrase it as "Oh guess what! Here is something I don't know!"

I was on board with you for much of what you said here. I just don't think either of you had the right to make the statements that were made. It seems to trivialize what so many women go through. "If men can't understand why women do it, then the woman should just stop putting up with it" are the inferences that can be made when statements like these are made. It clearly puts the blame on the women for "putting up with it" as opposed to the male when there is probably some brainwashing going on that got the woman to this point.

7. YankeeFan

Liesl, I guess we're not really in disagreement then.

I tried to make it clear how while "not understanding" how they could put up with "crap" like that, that I did understand that many of them were, "raised with a history of it going back centuries".

So, I didn't mean to put them down, criticize them, or define them as weak.

It's a horrible situation & I don't know how it's ever going to be rectified.

8. Just_a_fan

Just_a_fan Member

I think a big point is being missed by some people on this thread.

The woman asked, in advance, if she could wear a hijab. Disney offered to design one for her that would fit with her uniform/costume. Disney never did that, so she decided to wear her own. Disney then decided to ask her to stay hidden in the back. She was offended and refused.

Why is she the bad-guy in this?

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

JaF - The timeline I got from the articles was she refused Disney's offer before something could be designed, essentially saying it didn't matter what they came up with, she wanted to wear the hijab and not their design.

YF - There is a very, very significant segment of Christians in this country that believe the Bible is the literal word of god (two big groups are the Southern Baptists and Pentacostals), and there's a very significant portion of the population in this country that believes women should be subservient to men in a variety of religions. Many married Amish women, IIRC, won't leave the house without something covering their hair.

Those may be stereotypically Muslim things, but they are far from uniquely Muslim things.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There has been a compromise in a similar case:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0928-disney-scarf-20100928,0,4282772.story?track=rss

Draft saved Draft deleted