1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman refuses Disney head scarf alternative

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Muslim woman refuses to wear Disney-mandated head scarf alternative, accuses company of discrimination.

The story says she has refused to remove her hijab, which I understand. No problem with that at all. But it seems like stupidity all around to me. In this day and age, Disney should know it can't force her to remove the hijab without some sort of backlash. At the same time, this idiot should have known from the job interview that she was going to have to remove it, and by accepting the job, implies that she was OK with that. And then when it became a problem, she refused a job away from customers. I have no sympathy for anyone in this story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_en_ot/us_disneyland_muslim_worker

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that the big black ears on the disney alternative were pissing her off.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a tricky issue. I can see both sides.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is a shitty article.

This had been reported already, and more thoroughly.

She's been working there for a while. She only decided to wear the hijab when Ramadan started.

She asked if it was ok. They said no. She showed up in it anyway.

They offered to have her work in the back of the house during Ramadan instead of as a hostess, She refused.

Looks like someone trying to cause a problem to me.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This makes a little more sense. Close call as to which party is more fundamentalist.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I can only assume that somewhere in the huge Disney employee handbook, there is something about dress. I don't see this ending well for her.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Disney had a mustache issue a few years back, I believe.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I can understand why. Guys with moustaches around kids ... it creeps me out just thinking about it.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The mustache is a bit goofy, I admit, but I wouldn't call it an issue. The greased back hair is way more of an issue, if you ask me.

[​IMG]

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Head scarves too....
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I had a friend who worked at Disney Publishing for a while. To say that they're authoritarian assholes is an understatement

Canadians fought this battle about twenty years ago when a member of the Royal Canadian Mountain Police insisted he be allowed --as a Sikh--to wear his turban instead of the usual Horsemen Headwear. It was a very emotional debate but the officer won---and rightly so.

And there's nothing "fundamentalist" about wearing a hijab.

I was in a mall today and there was a Muslim woman wearing one. She was also wearing her Dion Phaneuf jersey so she was conflicted, religion-wise. :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What article are you referring to?

Draft saved Draft deleted