1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman records OR conversation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In other words, you haven't been in that situation and have no idea how you would actually handle it.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear to me that all of this is valid. That said, none of that excuses the behavior of the surgical staff. Is it too much to ask for them to behave like grownups?

Moving forward, I can see surgeons everywhere making it standard protocol to search patients' hair for recording devices.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you met many surgeons?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear to me that all of this is valid. That said, none of that excuses the behavior of the surgical staff. Is it too much to ask for them to behave like grownups?

I was just about to write the same thing. The surgery room professionalism was deplorable.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be serious, my wife had back surgery recently. I thought it was odd that in the post-surgery area, different nurses would come for different tasks.

All would ask who the surgeon was. Not to verify that this was the correct patient, it seems, but because they were curious. All said some form of "good or he's good" for our surgeon. I was left with a strong impression that there must be a lot of bad surgeons out there.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Shaken, Easter later went to see her family doctor, who told her that the surgeon had taken notes on their meeting and raised “red flags” about her attitude — “as if I was the problem,” Easter said in a phone interview with The Washington Post on Wednesday.

This was a revenge taping, if there is such a thing -- her getting back at the doctor for his raising red flags about her attitude.

People who undergo a serious surgery don't do it with a doctor they don't trust. I don't condone some of the things that were said in the OR, but this lady was looking for trouble, and simply, she found it, and now is making more of it, at the doctors' expense. Probably literally.

Batman likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Or there are a lot of surgeons that don't get a long with their nurses.

Ace likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone else here not really give a shit what they say while you are knocked out? As long as they fix whatever they were operating on and don't leave me a vegetable, I think I am happy. ... check that, ecstatic.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I expect them to act professionally and not joke about sexually assaulting me. That trust is a significant factor in medical care, and it should not be broken.

TigerVols and franticscribe like this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess I don't care what someone says if I don't hear it. But a surgeon seems way out of touch to be amused that someone wants his services as soon as possible.

Then to joke about your body and sexual assault?

(Granted, the woman sounds like a pill.)

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I haven't seen him in a few years, but I know him. Small world.

Big Circus likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As others have said, the surgeons' speech and actions seem unprofessional -- at best -- and borderline malpractice at worst. The chatter isn't as bad as ignoring her possible penicillin allergy, which caused real problems later on.
    The woman is also a nut case. It can be both. Not knowing exactly how these things work, when she went back to the family doctor was that an opportunity to say, "Hey, I'm not real comfortable with this guy. Can we find a different surgeon? Or at least one who can get me in sooner?"

Draft saved Draft deleted