1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman impregnated by artificial insemination canned by church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Thoughts?

So would Mary get shit-canned? Prolly!

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Immaculate

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From the Cinci Enquirer story:

Initially, the Archdiocese fired her for being single and pregnant. After it learned that could violate federal and state anti-discrimination laws, it fired her for being artificially inseminated, considered a “gravely immoral” act by the Roman Catholic Church.

Yeah, no problem here, eh?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Moral problem or legal problem?

I have a problem with their morality, but it should be legal.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From a moral perspective: as if I needed another reason that underlies why I'm a "lapsed Catholic" at best.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Catholic Church - still not ready for the 20th 17th 15th 10th century.....

7. LongTimeListener

The fact that their first attempt was illegal should be a pretty good sign of what their intentions were.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't mean to take this into a political direction at all.... but I find it kind of fascinating that Rick Santorum isn't doing particularly well among Catholics.

I think we've reached the point where a huge percentage of Catholics think strict Catholicism is absurd. There was one poll I saw a few weeks ago that said 99% of women had used birth control, but among Catholic women that number plummeted... to 98%.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can fire a teacher for getting knocked up out of wedlock. It's a morality clause, and many people brought it up here justifying the suspension of a certain Steeler quarterback.

I think it was horseshit then, and I think it's horseshit here.

10. Ding.. Ding ... Ding ...

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One slight issue: The certain Steeler quarterback, at least for the first few years of his career, wasn't allowed to choose his employer.

12. LongTimeListener

I would love to see this go to court and the woman's lawyer call as a witness another school employee, one who went through IVF (or other medically aided means) with her husband because they couldn't conceive otherwise, and continues to work at the school. Given the percentages of such occurrence in the population at large, I'm guessing there has been one somewhere along the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted