1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman: I marry you for health insurance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishhack2009, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Yeah, but considering she is marrying ONLY for insurance and she is advertising as much, I wouldn't blame the guy's company refused if they her.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think they get that choice.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

They'd have a major lawsuit on their hands. People get married all the time to people with pre-existing conditions. Or they have kids with pre-existing conditions.

Marriage is a legally binding document, so, yeah, they'd pretty much have to insure her.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In most any case in most any state, under a group plan she would be included on her spouse's coverage, pre-existing condition or not. She's also moving from one group plan (she's on COBRA, so she's still in a group plan) to another, which lessens the chance she would have to sit out for a certain period before getting benefits.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fixed. You are slipping.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

In Communist Russia, health insurance marries you!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I clicked on that link without reading.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Didn't realize you were in the market, mustang. :)

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that. He might not have health insurance

10. I'm sure it might generate a lawuist, but If I was insurance company and this women or her husband tried to sign tell 'em to both pound sand.
    The reason being is she is out soliciting a man for the sole purpose of insurance.

And the sancity of marriage ...;)

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Unless there's a legitimate marriage clause in the insurance company's rules, then they've got no case. With a green card, there are tests of legitimacy for a marriage. Last I checked, insurers didn't come round to make sure you're living together or any such thing.

Of course, if it bothers an insurance company that much, they could, you know, not refuse to cover her because of a pre-existing condition.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't wait to hear the testimonials for those online dating commercials in 2012 or so.

"I knew Pete was the man for me when he told me he was a state employee."

"I told Match.com I didn't want any of that soulmate crap. Just find me a woman with good health insurance."

"I wasn't gay before this, and I hate cold weather, but for health insurance, sure, I'll move to Vermont."

Draft saved Draft deleted