1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

woman attacked on subway platform, workers basically do nothing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remember listening to my grandpa tell World War II stories, stories he didn't tell for 44 years. He briefly talked about what he did to earn a Silver Star, though he didn't metion the three German soldiers he had to kill to earn it. But he also talked about guys who completely froze when the fighting started, guys who were the best in training, who seemed to have no fear. But they froze and could do nothing. Grandpa didn't know why he was able to go on while some of the others couldn't, and he didn't talk badly about them, only saying "the poor guy just didn't know what to do." When he'd tell these stories I always liked to think that I would have been like him, I would have charged forward.

But there's just as good of a chance that I would have stood there frozen, unable to do anything.

I hope I would have done something in this case. But I can never know for sure if I would have.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did these soldiers who froze have guns?

Because I am guessing these MTA employees did not. Maybe these employees were 5'6 and 140 pounds. Maybe they have families to support, and playing subway Batman (without any of Batman's fighting skills or powers) is at direct odds with their long-term goal of supporting their family. But no, they are labeled as cowards on internet message boards.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just reread the entire thread. First use of the word coward was in your post.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The word "coward" doesn't have to be used. People were labeled as cowards. Are you disagreeing with that? Because I'm really not up for a hair-splitting SportsJournalists.com argument over semantics.

5. jps

jps Active Member

they may not be cowards. that doesn't mean they, at least in this instance, come off, in my estimation, as fairly indifferent.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Listen, like it or not I believe these folks are cowards.

And you know why I can say that? Because this is an internet forum where people are free to speak their minds.

In my opinion, they are cowards. That doesn't mean they are, hell I'm glad they at least called for help, but in my opinion they are cowards for not doing more.

What would have stopped this guy from slicing and dicing this defenseless woman? Nothing. Exactly.

Might they have made things worse? Well, possibly. Maybe it was better they didn't interfere. Maybe it saved her life. We can't pretend to know exactly what happened and we can't pretend we're right in our interpretation of events.

All I know is that I, personally, think they are cowards. The same way I think the folks on the bus in Canada are cowards.

That is just my personal opinion, and like many of you know, sometimes it's not based entirely on the truth and/or logic.

Call me an idiot, call me an internet tough guy. That's your right. My right is to call them cowards, in my eyes, and nothing said here is going to change that.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Most. Predictable. Post. Evar.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I know. I know.

I almost didn't even bother because I didn't want to rock the boat, but I am a loud-mouth bastard who can't keep his mouth shut. :)

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Most. Honest. Post. Evar.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is a difference to what happend on the bus in Canada, the pshyco had already killed the guy and there would have been nothing the others could have done.

Draft saved Draft deleted