1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

woman attacked on subway platform, workers basically do nothing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

either one just might kill/hurt you. like I said - maybe it's just me. but I couldn't sit and just wait it out, hoping for the best when clearly that isn't what's happening.

2. jps

jps Active Member

agreed.

and I guess I'm not saying that these workers should be held accountable by the law -- but I am saying that they should have felt compelled by something other than what the subway worker rule book says you've got to do in an emergency situation. I just can't fathom being able to sit there for 10 minutes, knowing a woman is being brutalized, and going about my daily routine. I couldn't do it.

3. The workers notified the proper authorites. You know, the guys sworn to protect and serve.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's fine, I guess, in the eyes of the law. You may or may not feel differently if you or anyone you love, is ever the victim of something horrible while others stand by without actively trying to help. For me it is karma, which is all about the action or the deed. The true test (and a measure of character) is the action you take when it is scariest to take action.

Anyhow, moralizing over.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I also may or may not feel different when someone I love gets themselves killed trying to be a hero.

The "what if it was someone you loved" argument is always a bit weird to me. Why are we appealing to the people who can look at the situation the least rationally?

6. jps

jps Active Member

yes, they did. they did the bare minimum, evil. kudos to them. and if they can live with that, fantastic. personally, I wouldn't be able to.

like the woman said - even getting onto the subway's pa system would be something. this guy didn't know anyone pushed a big button - he, I'm sure, figured these guys were too afraid to do anything and just ignored what was happening. maybe if he knows cops are on the way, he splits.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They did their legal duty.

Meanwhile, a woman was raped on a subway platform, and they were aware of what was going on and made no effort to help her.

But they did the did what is legally required of them. Good for them.

8. I'm not applauding them.. I'm just saying you shouldn't look down on them.
    If this helps you - (insert manly-hero voice here) I wouldn't stand for that!! - then kudos to you sir.

Have you ever been to NY and listened the PA system?

I don't think the rapist gave two shits about whether the cops were on the way. Wouldn't, if someone sees you raping a woman, you assume they are probably calling cops and they might headed to you know stop you?

9. You see, now that is just not true.
    They did make an effort to help her - just not a good enough effort in your judgement.
    No effort means they wouldn't have bothered to push the button. That wasn't the case.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have no problem with anybody looking down at these guys. Standing by and doing as little as possible as led to horrendous things in our past. And defending their inaction, esp. when there were options that would not have put their lives at risk, says a lot about the type of person you are, least to me.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Real easy to say when you weren't actually in their shoes. You can talk all you want about what you would have done, and that's all it will ever be. Hell, I can sit here and say I wouldn't have tried to intervene myself, and believe it, and maybe if I were actually put in that situation I would spring to action. Neither of us is lying, but we both might be wrong. Better not to judge unless there is concrete evidence.

12. jps

jps Active Member

sure - and he saw two people who essentially ignored him and the situation, as far as he knew. and he didn't care if cops were on the way? really? the guy did bolt soon as they showed up, of course, so if he heard they were seconds away, maybe it helps. maybe it doesn't, but it would have been an attempt to be proactive, rather than just letting it happen.

maybe not an exact match here -- I'm tired, so give me a little lee-way -- but their "effort" here would have been something like a baseball player walking into the batter's box and standing there as three strikes whizzed down the center, never moving his bat, never taking it off his shoulder. he did what he was required to - he went up for his turn at bat. maybe he gets hit by a pitch. maybe the pitcher screws up and walks him. didn't happen. struck out watching. but, kudos to him, he stepped into that box. he never swung, but he sure hoped for the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted