1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

woman attacked on subway platform, workers basically do nothing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

didn't see this anywhere, though admittedly didn't look too hard this morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30105703/

maybe it's just the way my moral compass points, but I sure as hell try to actually do something. not because my job says I'm required to -- because it's the right thing to do.

2. I feel horrible for woman, but the transit workers, according to the story, immediatley pushed the button to summon police.

The guys is no saint that's for sure, but he's no David Cash Jr. either.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How can you sit in the booth and do nothing? How can you be the conductor, close the train doors and pull away while that is going on. I don't care if they hit a button. She's being charitable when she says the least he could have done was get on the intercom and try to scare the guy away. I really don't know how anyone -- even if they scared out of their head by the attacker -- doesn't intercede.

4. jps

jps Active Member

so that's good enough for you? immediately pushing a button? house is on fire, woman inside screaming for help. you immediately call 911 to get the firetrucks there. good enough?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I hope I'm never put in that situation to find out. Would I be shocked to find out if that was all I did? No.

I believe it was esteemed Dr. Gregory House who put it:
    "If you don't value your own life over someone else's, sign your donor card and shoot yourself in the head."

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fire's different. Fire doesn't have a gun or a knife or whatever else you don't know about.

7. For me personally? No.
    But to expect the best from my fellow human beings and to then expect the law - in this case a judge - to issue a decree that would require you, me or anyone else within earshot to jump in and help, regardless of the situation, where failure to do so might result in criminal prosecution?
    The guy did what he was supposed to do - he alerted the proper authorties. Did he know if the man was armed? How do you know the man in the booth didn't have MS? Or Maybe he was an old guy with a heart condition?
    Look, the two transit workers certainly shouldn't be singled out for bravery, but I don't think they should be persecuted - or prosecuted - either.
    Why isn't anyone blaming the cops for not showing up quick enough?

And again .. I feel horrible for what that poor woman went through.

8. The Big Ragu

Not to be too hyperbolic, but that philosophy is why millions of people could witness the Holocaust and then claim a pass because they were powerless to do anything about it.

I value my life. But my life really is worthless to me if I don't live it in a way that allows me to look in the mirror each morning with a clear conscience.

9. There is BIG difference between witnessing the Holocaust and taking part in it.
    That's as far down this road as I am willing to go.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's a bit hyperbolic. The way to stop the Holocaust isn't to throw yourself into the maw, it's to engage in the political process to keep it from happening.

We aren't powerless to stop rapes and fires, we have social institutions to take care of them, and there's nothing wrong with stepping back and letting them do their jobs.

If someone wants to be a hero, good for them, but I won't look down on someone who would rather make sure he gets home to his wife and kids safe.

11. The Big Ragu

Huge difference. And there were still millions who witnessed some horrific acts and didn't intercede. Just like that booth worker and that subway conductor.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would have expected a more moralistic stance from you, RickStain, but I am in agreement.

Draft saved Draft deleted