1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman accused of killing her husband chimes in on local paper's message board

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So weird. This woman accused of killing her husband decides to sign up and post on the thread about the case on the local paper's message board, eventually going back-and-forth with the husband's sister.

http://forums.timesdaily.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5521043475/m/82710286/p/1

Lots of talk on here about newspaper message boards and comment sections, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good idea to boost activity on papers' boards.

More buffoonery by yokels.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If she's going to follow paper newspaper website commenting protocol, she has to blame the murder on immigrants.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Judging by the comments on newspaper message boards, I'd say an accused husband-killer would practically be a saint, since most of the comments seem to spring from the depths of hell.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Okay all of you lawyers out there. How big of a hole is she digging herself by posting these comments. How admissable are they? This is new territory, no?

Having seen how easy it is to sign onto someone else's account, can she claim that she did not type any of this stuff?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anything she says can be used as a party-opponent admission. It would have to be verified that she actually made the statement, of course.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I thought of. How stupid can one person be?

8. Point of Order

Their thread on a suspected murderer in the family is more civil than some of the ones here.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, she's innocent until proven guilty so she gets to post like anyone else.

But she should know that anything she posts can be used in a criminal case, too.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

That's what I was getting at. How hard (or easy) will it be to verify that she actually made the statement? Is the burden simply matching up the IP address to her computer, or can she claim other people have access to her computer and login?

11. Point of Order

Judge gets to make the call. If he/she thinks more likely than not that it's authentic, and certainly anyone reading it would, it will come in. The judge would probably be very cautious since this is a murder case and want more proof, though, such as IP address, etc. But if it is traced to her phone how can she deny that?

If the judge lets it in, the defense can still argue it's not real to the jury, but good luck with that. Should she be posting? Absolutely not. But, that said, she actually acquits herself fairly well in the post. Seems like defense counsel will have little choice but to put her on the stand and hope the jury believes her.

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Here's what's astounding to me. She apparently signed on pretending to just be a friend of the accused who knew her very well. But then after several posts and a heated back-and-forth she forgets that she is pretending and speaks as herself, thus blowing her cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted