1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman, 91, Living With (Dead) Husband And Sister

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Jul 6, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x644697436/Widow-lived-with-corpses-of-husband-twin

This has happened before, of course. But if I read this right, I am wondering:

1) Who did she get to help her retrieve the bodies?'

2) Will those people, if she tells who helped her, face jail or fines?

3) What is it with old folks needed to have the dead bodies of their loved ones under their roof with them?

Okay....Have at!!

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

To me, the idea behind it and her reasons actually make perfect sense. I've had discussions like this with my wife - those 2 a.m. discussions where we contemplate life and death and our future and life after death. Keeping them for as long as this lady did isn't something I'd be real fond of (you'd need a lot of perfume), but definitely understand the ones who want to be with them for like a day or two, especially if they're elderly. You've been married to someone for 60 years. Spent every day and night with them. Then they die in bed and are hauled away 20 minutes later. Definitely understand waiting awhile to call the authorities.

And my wife has basically said the same thing as this lady about burial:

When my grandma died last year, my wife was like, "I hate picturing her down underneath the ground, just lying there, stuck. Your poor granny." That's why she wants to be cremated - or buried with a walkie-talkie, with me having the other one, so she can let me know if she needs to get out of there.

Me? I want to be buried. I don't think anyone's suffocating under the ground. That's ridiculous.

But I do worry about cremation, because what if you're not really dead when they put you in?

I hope they don't charge this lady with anything.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Small Town Guy, your points about cremation and burial make complete sense to me. My folks both want cremation. Not crazy about the idea myself. But you make valid points that dawned on me that have happened before ("dead" person turning out to not really be dead, etc.). Was always taught the dead do not feel. That lady's contention that her sister would be having problems because she suffered from claustrophobia in life seem moot points to me. But I guess not to her.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lot worse ways to spend eternity than on a couch in the garage.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wonder about that first question, too.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've already given my survivors the instructions:

1) Donate whatever organs the doctors think would be useful

2) Cremate me immediately afterward

3) At the funeral, display a nice picture of me from my younger days. I want people to remember me THAT way, not as a pickled corpse stuffed into a business suit I hate wearing anyway

4) Scatter the ashes over my favorite lake. Anytime you drive over the bridge, you can think about part of me being there.

This is going to cause some problems if I go anytime in the next few years, because The Church currently does not permit cremation-plus-scattering. They insist the ashes be buried.

This of course, is the same Church stomping its feet about FarmerJerome wanting to speak at her dad's funeral.

Screw 'em. It's gonna be done the way **I ** want it. If The Church don't like it, they can go back to buggering altar boys.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When the local kids go swimming they will swallow your remains and you will live on forever spreading Starman justice through another generation.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FWIW, some of the most devout and respected people in history have said "screw it" to certain church rules.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Something somewhat similar happened around here about eight years ago. An old woman, who never married, died with no heirs. Movers came to clean out the house, and when they opened a trunk they found a mummified baby in there.

Among the many reasons I heard, the most plausible was that she had the baby during an era when it was looked down upon that single women had babies. So perhaps she hid it from everyone but kept it close to her. Judging by the articles in the trunk, this supposedly took place in the 40s.

As for the afterlife, I want to be cremated and I already have a spot deep out in the woods near where I was born and raised. There's a waterfall that goes through where my friends and I played often as kids, and it's a perfect spot.

(Well, this was an uplifting post ... ::) )

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am not a believer, so take it for what it's worth, but if your religion forbids cremation or allows cremation but forbids scattering of ashes, why would you go against that?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because it's one of the many many things I believe the doddering old men who run the religion are wrong about.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying if you spend your life in a religion, why take a chance on screwing it up at the end?

Draft saved Draft deleted