1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wojo's fantasy column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sandman, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

Like most on the board (i think), I generally am a fan of Gene Wojciechowski's work. His recent effort on fantasy football, however, screamed of mailing it in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2982927

I realize major columnists are not gonna hit a home run every at-bat, so I have no problem giving him a pass. Most interesting, though, is not how bad the column is -- I'm more interested in the comments at the bottom of the page. I can't imagine Wojo is happy about having all those negative comments at the bottom of his work.

Thoughts?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I agree with you completely. Got about a third of the way in and went somewhere else.

A list of bad one-liners does not a good column make.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Looks like Rick Reilly sat in for Wojo that day.

4. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

do a lot of people on this board really like him?

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Seems like it. I may be a bit sensitive though. About a year ago, under a different screen name, I criticized a comment of Wojo's in one of his columns about baseball. I was immediately rebuked.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Between this and his pointless anti-soccer piece, Wojo's in a bit of a slump lately.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's ok, College football season starts this week.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wojo is generally very, very good.

9. Yikes.

I like Wojo, but this was god-awful.

10. If nothing else, the Denny Green reference in 14 kinda made me smirk.

11. A few of them made me laugh. Maybe not his best column, but not everything is going to be a tear-jerker or soapbox moment. I have no problem with him trying something like this.

12. Given the popularity of Fantasy Football, I thought it was a pretty good parody of the many fantasy columns written in papers and around the web. As with any "list" column, there were some winners and clunkers. But he gave it a shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted