1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WoJo nails it re: recruiting madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Every year about this time there seem to be hundreds of columns about how ugly recruiting is. That's like saying how ugly the weather is in the Rust Belt. Doesn't take a genius to write such a column, or agree with it.
    What's different about Wojo's column is that he offers some ideas and possible solutions. Maybe his ideas are good. Maybe they aren't. I'm not sure either way. But at least he offered some possible solutions to the problem.

3. I also like that he did the legwork to interview several coaches, including attempts to those parties involved. An average columnist would spew out 24 inches w/o picking up the phone and then call it a day...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That was a good column. I'd like to see more columns showing these insights into the recruiting craziness.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Has John L Smith said anything more on this at all? I'd love to hear him either elaborate on the supposed cheating by naming some incidents he thinks are fishy or else acknowledge that he was just talking out his ass.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, you should take a look at what colleges do to bring in the top academic students in.
    The saracasm font isn't on.
    It is truly astounding, but the pool is much smaller, and the schools much more elite. Plus the vast majority are private and outside the prying eyes of the general public. And you don't have a daily section in the paper dedicated to academics
    But those kids who do the double 8s on the SAT or the perfect ACT are coveted and real money gets thrown at them to convince them to attend.
    I'm working on a piece that deals with grad school recruitment and I was taken back by what was out there. No strippers, at least none that I've found so far, but money, huge money.

Draft saved Draft deleted