1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woj nails it (NBA draft age requirements)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It is interesting that we take no offense with the idea of a 19 year old making millions playing at the highest level in baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, racing or golf. Only in the NBA and NFL, the two leagues dominated by African-American athletes, do we feel the need to impose arbitrary age limits.

I don't believe there's any racial intent behind the rules, but there certainly is a disproportionate racial impact.

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

His second season, Kobe Bryant was runner-up for the NBA's "Sixth Man of the Year" award and was voted the youngest starter on the West's squad in the "NBA All-Star Game."
    Yeah, he really sucked his first few seasons. Sure, there were some growing pains, but he also learned a lot more in those first few years in the NBA than he would've in college. And, who's to say he would've ended up in as good a situation if he had gone to college, went No. 1 overall and got stuck with a horrible team.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good point, but I think it more has to do with 90 percent of the country not giving two squirts about college baseball, college hockey, college soccer, college tennis...

I think you get the picture.

4. chester

chester Member

Did I say he sucked? No. I just wanted to know what he did before those years, because I didn't follow Lakers closely at all.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So for the sole purpose of entertaining America these young men should be restricted from earning a living?

6. chester

chester Member

That's what pro athletes in any sport do, isn't it? If they weren't entertaining the people in the stands, would there be a living to be made in it?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's been Devil's argument on multiple threads.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They aren't fucking pro athletes.

9. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Chester, that wasn't meant for you, bro. I know you were making a point that Kobe won titles relatively early in his career and GB-Hack tried to downplay his first few seasons, pointing out he was a bench player. I was responding to him that Bryant wasn't your average bench player.

10. chester

chester Member

What are they then? They play a sport professionally, right? So that would make them pro athletes? Or are you referring to the collegiates who eventually become pro athletes? I'm confused a bit, I must admit.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

College athletes.
    Devils contention is that people care more about football and basketball players leaving early because America doesn't care about any of the other college sports.

12. chester

chester Member

Oh, right you are then. My mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted