1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woj nails it (NBA draft age requirements)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I wish guys would spend a couple of years in college, but I don't think the NBA should tell 18-year-olds that they can't play in the league.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If drafting 18 year-olds was a bad idea, why did NBA franchises continue to do it?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Isn't 18 a little old for you, poin?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The players don't have a choice in whether or not a school charges for admission. And I thought a salary for college athletes was against NCAA rules (wink, wink).

The problem I had is that you had kids coming out of high school and declaring for the draft, then not getting drafted, and the NCAA wouldn't allow them to play. In the real world, college students don't get punished by a school if they choose to try the working world first.

They should allow players one chance, either after HS or while in college, to declare for the draft. If they don't get drafted, they go back to school until their eligibility is up.

5. chester

chester Member

Something like what they have in baseball could work. Isn't it, you're eligible for the draft right out of high school, but if you decide to go to college, you have to be there at least two years? I think that's what it is, but I could be wrong.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but can't players go through the draft and remain eligible for school if they don't hire an agent?

7. Baron Scicluna

I think it should be something similiar to that, only, I don't believe that a player should have to commit for two years if he doesn't want to. Coaches jump their contracts all the time, regular students transfer to different schools, or quit for the working world all the time, why should athletes be any different?

8. Baron Scicluna

Nowadays, they can. Back in the late '90s, once a player declared for the draft, the college route was permanently closed. That's why you saw a few kids who didn't get drafted get shut out of college ball.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I prefer the Lute Olsen method of thinking on this one:

If IBM came to a high school and offered a student a million dollars because the company thought that student was ready to cut it at that level, the student would take it and no one would say a damn thing. People might criticize the company but no one would jump on the kid because he "wasn't ready."

Why is it different for a high school basketball player who scouts perceive as ready for the NBA?

And chester, baseball's system is three years. A baseball player is eligible to be drafted three times. Usually it plays out as once after high school, once after the third year of college and, if he doesn't go in either of those drafts, once after he completes college.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

And after that, he becomes a free agent, essentially. If he declares and isn't drafted, he can return to college, but an NBA team can make him an offer at any time and he can leave at any time. He isn't eligible to declare for the draft again.

And a player is still only eligible to return to college if he doesn't hire an agent. If he hires an agent and isn't drafted, he's SOL.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This goes back to the other thread.

IMHO, the high school players do not win the NBA championships of the college players.

This season will be a decent year to put it to test it since the teams with American high schoolers as the cornerstone of the team (Boston, LA, Cleveland) seem to be the favorites.

12. chester

chester Member

Couldn't remember if it was two or three. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted