1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woah, Momma. Cuban facing insider trading charge.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sabrefan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

poin, This was a PIPE, not a public stock offering. There is a huge difference between the two. This was privately-issued equity linked to the stock that Cuban had bought at at market prices. It was DESIGNED to dilute the value of what he owned, by using his shares as a type of collateral to raise money. Hand-selected private investors were sold equity equal to what Cuban owned, but they got their equity a price that was below the market value of the common stock. It's legal, but it does screw shareholders typically, because it immediately devalues the common stock. Not only did management screw him that way, they put him in the awkward situation of telling him they were about to do it. So he was left in a position that if sold he could be violating securities law and if he didn't sell he was going to get royally screwed. How would you react if you had that phone conversation?

I'm not sure what your disagreement with me is. Even the biggest law & order person at the commission will make a BIG distinction between what happened with Cuban and what happened with someone like Martha Stewart, who sold ahead of bad earnings news to avoid a loss. That distinction is why Cuban is not up on criminal charges. And because of SEC disclosure rules, he might actually be able to argue that the onus was on management to protect other investors, not on him, because by law if he was intentionally notified, that CEO may have had a fiduciary responsibility to notify everyone at the same time.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Even the biggest law & order person at the commission will make a BIG distinction between what happened with Cuban and what happened with someone like Martha Stewart, who sold ahead of bad earnings news to avoid a loss.

You didn't even read 21's post. Martha Stewart's problem had to do with conspiracy, obstruction of an agency proceeding, and making false statements to federal investigators. Not the sale itself.

Martha Stewart had nothing to do with this.

I think you are one weird dude. I bow out of this. And this time its for real.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's just a big coincidence that two of the other bidders for the Cubs are:
    a group headed by John Canning, chairman of private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners LLC; and the family of online brokerage Ameritrade's founder, Joe Ricketts.

And I've never heard of Mamma.com before today. Good publicity.

4. My guess?
    He does the former just long enough to look like honor is satisfied.
    Then he writes a big check.
    But he still doesn't get the Cubs.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He wasn't getting the Cubs from Day 1 but, yeah, that's his MO.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which sucks, because he should get the Cubs...

7. Not on my life.
    Keep the World's Smartest Human where he belongs -- blogging about the genius it took to build a team that nearly always gets to the Western Conference finals.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This thing happened in 2004 and the feds are just now getting around to announcing it?

The timing is certainly curious.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

An awful lot of words... for what, I do not know.

Cuban is obviously guilty.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

How the Cubbies doing?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Three games back, but it's early yet.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Poin, You are not following or not understanding. Martha Stewart's insider trading violation had to do with her owning a biotech stock. She was friends with the CEO of the company. The company's stock was trading high on expectations of FDA approval of a drug that had been in trials. The company was sitting on news that the trials hadn't gone well and the drug wasn't going to get approval. The CEO told Stewart, who then sold her stock ahead of the news and before the stock plummeted.

Mark Cuban's insider trading violation had to do with him owning a stock that was going to get slaughtered by a private-equity offering -- a decision made by management of the company that raised capital at the expense of its large common-stock shareholders, like Mark Cuban.

I am making a distinction between what Martha Stewart did and what Mark Cuban did. MOST people--and perhaps you disagree--see a level of sliminess in what Stewart did. When you invest in a biotech stock, the inherent risk in the investment is that drugs going through the pipeline may not pan out. When that happens, you made a bad investment. Your loss, though, is the result of the company not performing, not the result of management purposely diluting your stock value with a financial transaction you can't control. In Cuban's case, any loss he might have taken had nothing to do with the company's earnings or product pipeline, which are typically the things that drive stock price. It had to do with him getting screwed by that PIPES transaction. And because of insider trading laws he was left with a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" choice over a decision that wasn't in his interest and which he couldn't control. If he sold, he was possibly guilty of insider trading. If he didn't sell, he had just gotten off the phone with someone who was telling Cuban he was personally going to make his stock worth less by offering private equity to some hand-picked investors at a reduced cost.

There's just a difference between the two things. People get disgusted by insider trading when it is a corporate officer who has a fiduciary responsibility and he uses his insider info to enrich himself. They get disgusted at the Martha Stewarts who don't suck up the fact that the invested in a biotech company that didn't perform on its merits the way she had hoped and uses insider info to avoid a loss. It's just hard for me to put Mark Cuban in that same category when 1) he had no fiduciary responsibility and 2) His loss would have had nothing to do with the fundamentals of the company; it would have had to do with a PIPES transaction structured by management and designed to screw him.

There is a difference, even if both possibly fall under the purview of insider trading laws.

Cuban actually has the defense I outlined above as a possibility, but the problem is you don't challenge the SEC by calling them liars, the way he has. It just makes them come after you harder. Martha Stewart could have paid a large fine and walked away but she was indignant and lied. If Cuban tells them to fuck themselves, they may go to the mattresses with him. He'd be smarter to just pay a fine, that in the scheme of things is chump change for him, and move on. But Cuban being Cuban he might not do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted