1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woah, Momma. Cuban facing insider trading charge.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sabrefan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Re: Woah, Momma. Cuban nailed for insider trading.

BTW, I'm wondering if they have the conversations on a taped line. If not, the relevant quotes seem a wee too perfect.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That isn't a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison crime?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Cool, thanks guys. This would fall under the I learned soemthing new today banner. It definitely makes a little more sense now.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Be that as it may, whatever piss-in-the-wind chance Cuban had of owning the Cubs just went "flush". No way is Selig going to allow a sign-off on this transaction now.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm sure that re: that news about Cuban being done as potential Cubs owner.... it came out a couple weeks ago.... Baseball owners who leaked this info knew this was coming.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Maybe. But I remember that Selig once fought to keep Edward Gaylord from purchasing the Rangers because he was planning to put them on his own superstation cable network and Selig, along with Jerry Reinsdorf, didn't want another superstation in baseball. That was back in the 80s.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Why Cuban is a great owner: he cares about winning enough that he will pour money into the franchise to make it happen. Of course, he also realizes that winning in a big market (like Dallas) tends to generate large amounts of revenue. Championships are great, but all the owner can do is hire the best personnel and leave it up to them. As an owner, if you give your fans a great product they can come out and watch night after night, you give them value for their entertainment dollar and that's all you can do.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Cuban responds:

Mr. Cuban stated, “I am disappointed that the Commission chose to bring this case based upon its Enforcement staff’s win-at-any-cost ambitions. The staff’s process was result-oriented, facts be damned. The government’s claims are false and they will be proven to be so.”

http://blogmaverick.com/2008/11/17/the-sec/

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I know I could be speaking from a perspective of gross naivete, but they accuse him of insider trading in an attempt to clear $750k? I got a feeling $750k doesn't mean a whole lot to Cuban. Then again, lying about $250k got Martha Stewart a federally funded vacation.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

This thread, its title having begun with, "Woah, Momma," is worthless without:

[​IMG]

I'm so excited. ;)

11. Re: Woah, Momma. Cuban nailed for insider trading.

That sounds very much like what I've heard everybody ever convicted of insider-trading say right before the hammer comes down.
    The SEC doesn't do this for practice. At the very least, The World's Smartest Human is going to be writing a big check.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It can be, yes.

And to answer the question, how could a billionaire care about $750,000? Because people who really, really care about money (and are competitive to boot) care about every penny. That's in part why they have money. It's the Mr. Krabs school of wealth-keeping.

Draft saved Draft deleted