1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA - Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's pretty much my mindset.
    I was shocked when I saw those first ads running, during the Suns/Spurs series, I think.

I said to myself We've seen this poor marketing over and over and over and over and over."

Awful campaign. And to think someone got paid to come up with that BS

2. When I was listening to the Alicia Keys' song "Superwoman" - all I could think was "how would this song do in conjunction with highlights."

3. I think a good way for the WNBA to promote itself would be to hold preseason games against the winning intramural teams from local colleges. For instance Connecticut could play the winner of UConn's men's intramurals and LA could play the winner from either UCLA or USC. Every franchise has a local big name university. There would be tons of interest - I bet ESPN could get good ratings and when the women win - then the respect level and interest in the league would further peak. If ESPN could use ESPN2 or ESPNU to cover the games.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Why not? The college teams already scrimmage against men's intramural squads.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Next question: Who gets the new expansion teams?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[/quote] "I'm stunned by the quality and the amount of talent that is not making our league," Orender said at Madison Square Garden [quote/]

Assuming she meant athletic talent.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

If they were smart, they'd put a team in Nashville. Get a handful of former Lady Vols on the roster and the fans would show up in decent numbers.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I was thinking the same thing when they announced the expansion. The Sun draw well. There are a hotspots of fan interest for women's college ball, and it makes more sense (in my head) to put teams in those places, than linking all of them up with NBA teams just because.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Too much risk. What if they lose?

I don't think they would either. I think they would demolish an intramural team. But on the off-chance they lose, it could be devastating.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If you want attendance, why not just play it in Knoxville? A big enough metro area with arguably more per capita women's hoops fans than anywhere. Plenty of WNBA players still live in that area, and they would probably like playing in that arena, especially considering the recent renovations.

That team would also draw decent TV ratings (relatively speaking ... it's the WNBA), considering all the Lady Vols fans nationwide. Summitt could own the team. Put orange uniforms on them. It could work.

The women's basketball hall of fame is across the street from the arena, too.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Sting should have moved up the road to Raleigh/Durham. Strong college women's hoops, and there's not a lot of competition for the sports dollar during their season (excluding the D-Bulls and Mudcats)

12. Nashville / Knoxville seems like a natural for a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.