1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA Finals fever - catch it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's easy to poke fun at, but seriously, is any male watching this game with NLDS, NFL and college football also on TV?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I will be, but that's certainly mostly due to it being my Lynx. If it was Phoenix and LA, I'd probably only catch bits and pieces.

3. Small Town Guy

Incredible game to end it. Lynx sort of screwed by terrible officiating -- obvious 24 second violation but refs didn't stop play immediately and couldn't review -- but also had chance. A typical Minnesota sports ending, actually, difference being Lynx do already have titles to cushion it.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Saw the last play here in the newsroom. Gotta box out. Lynx didn't and lost.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just caught the highlights on the news. Agree with UP. But you can't advance the ball to midcourt after a time out, like in the NBA?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who is gonna start the WNBA offseason thread?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I watched the last 30 seconds ... because I saw the score crawl on the VT-Miami game and saw it was close. Was a fun ending, at least.

8. Small Town Guy

Lynx didn't have any timeouts left. Which sort of went back to the no-call on the shot clock violation. Reeve called timeout so that they would review it. Only it was too late, as they're supposed to do it right when basket goes through. So when Sparks scored with 3 seconds, Lynx had to go length of the court.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I found the parade route
    [​IMG]

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

According to the box score I saw in the paper this morning, it was an SRO crowd. Not a lot to do in Minny, eh?

12. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The Lynx have a fairly large and voluble fan base up here. No Minnesota team other than the Lynx has won a championship since 1991, and the Timberwolves haven't even been in the playoffs since 2004, so actually being successful has helped them quite a bit. And they resonate with much of the prevailing culture in Minneapolis for a number of reasons - the players are likeable and are not exorbitantly paid threatening males who get arrested frequently, Lindsay Whalen is a native Minnesotan who is so adored she could probably get elected governor if she wanted to, and the popularity of women's basketball in the LGBT community, to name three.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted