1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA Finals fever - catch it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 14, 2016.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

To paraphrase an English soccer commentator, "There will be dancing on the streets of (Mayo Clinic/EquiTrust) tonight!"

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

8 of the 12 are "sister" teams to NBA franchises in their cities, per Wikipedia, though two of those (LA, Atlanta) are separately owned. Seven play in the home arenas of the city's NBA franchise, though Atlanta is playing at Georgia Tech right now during a summer renovation project at Phillips Arena and Minnesota will be playing next summer across the river in St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center for the same reasons. Two others (Chicago at the Rosemont Horizon and Seattle at the Sonics' former home, Key Arena) play in "NBA-sized" arenas.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The backwards score is the worst

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One of the WNBA teams (not the Sparks) has a former intern of mine from a few months ago.

When talking about careers in the field a while back, I must have said "if you're a female and in sports, you can move up really quickly."

Her internship ended in May and she resurfaced, out of nowhere, writing endless articles for the WNBA and also for one team. She sent me her articles three weeks ago for me to look over.

Backwards scores.

Ugh.

Gamers without the score!

At least on the air, nothing screams "female trying to fast track her way to Bristol by leaning on her hotness and not her knowledge" more than the backwards score.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Backwards scores are part of the creeping scourge of eurosoccer sports writing, in which the home team is always listed first in the scoreline.

It's wrong. Stop it.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pic? Or GTFO?

7. exmediahack

She's smoking hot. I'll leave it at that.

She isn't proficient at journalism and reporting but was highly proficient at batting her eyes at our male photographers and reporters to help her put her reel together.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, a 6.

9. exmediahack

More like a 17. But she knows it. So that knocks her down to a 6.

To borrow a phrase from the past, we keep binders full of women for potential positions.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Giggity.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, Los Angeles: Which game five are you going to watch tonight?

Draft saved Draft deleted