1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't mean to start a grammatical holy war.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

[​IMG]

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll fail there too.

I suspect Mark Cuban will be somewhat less than fully cooperative/welcoming (such as allowing a Mavericks-related logo-color scheme or letting the WNBA team play in American Airlines Center).

If he had wanted there to be a Dallas WNBA franchise, there would have been one long ago.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It will fail there too.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I would think smaller markets would be better for a league like the WNBA, places where there isn't as much to do with the leisure sports dollar
    People may go see the Shock because they're the only game in town. There's a ton to do in Dallas.

7. Starman

It will be interesting to see what might happen if an NBA franchise owner took a hostile/antagonistic attitude toward a WNBA team locating in his territory.

8. Twirling Time

I doubt Cuban is even interested enough to care either way. There is zero overlap in seasons and Cuban is not involved in the WNBA or this particular team. I'm sure he and Stars owner Tom Gaglardi will be happy to take their rent money, though.

9. Starman

Cuban has been notorious for thumbing his nose at several league-wide publicity efforts such as allowing NBA players to play in international competitions like the Olympics, because he did not think it was a good idea for HIS franchise.

I could see Cuban taking the attitude that anybody who spends a dollar on a game ticket or T-shirt for the new Dallas Shock could be spending it instead on Mavericks gear.

10. Twirling Time

I wouldn't be surprised if the team played in Fort Worth or out in the burbs where minor league teams are thriving. Their fan base, though, lives in Oak Lawn.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I looked up the WNBA attendance figures and for 2014 the published attendance figures were about 7,300. Ate the attendance numbers legit or is a lot of padding going on?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted