1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wm. Rhoden: Vick is a pioneer. A player without modern day peer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 2, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rhoden must be a drunk, senile old fool.

This isn't another Vick thread, but how far down his throat does Rhoden have to take every black athlete and how drunk is he when he writes these columns?

Vicks' easiest peer to acknowledge in the current game is Steve McNair, and Vick isn't half as good a QB as McNair. Hey Rhoden, care to drag up some of your prior columns about Randall Cunningham or Kordell Stewart. Or Doug Williams or Donovan McNabb or James Harris.
    Revolutionary? Pioneer? I remember when Fran Tarkenton started scrambling in the late 60's and early 70's, oft times for his life with the Giants. That was a revolutionary player. Vick is merely the latest running QB. Elway ran & Young ran but they were smart enough to understand that a quaterback passes the ball further than he can run it. But Rhoden completely ignores the last 20 years of NFL history to drag up a true pioneer, who started his NFL career over 55 years ago. To remind everyone that the world our grandparents raised our parents in wasn't perfect.
    Newsflash for Rhoden, others sell the same lessons, but sell it in signficantly better prose.

BTW Vick has played in 69 NFL games, Eli 36. So in NFL years, Vick is in the prime of his career.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

vick is in his sixth season. eli is in his third.

i don't believe they should be linked on the same "young qb curve."

vick "ahead of his time?" meaning what? he's great but the coaches don't know what to do with him? when is it just going to be VICK'S fault for maturing in baby steps?

3. Vick is not a pioneer. He's a throwback to the 1930s and 1940s days of the wing-T and other odd formations where the quarterback was also the team's best runner. That style was phased out for a reason. You can't play quarterback in this league and be an inaccurate thrower. You just can't succeed that way.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not only are you sexist, you're a racist as well :eek: ::) ;)

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bill's agenda leads him to explore some very tight corners.

His problem . . . and the Times'.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

lol. i'm sure a certain someone will throw that one out there, too.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So it's Eli's fault that Michael Vick doesn't have a father figure to call?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Call Bobby Douglass.

9. The Michael Vick Backlash is going to lead some people into some very smelly places.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

...and readers

11. I love and respect Bill.

Randall Cunningham and Steve Young.

Vick is certainly blazing, but it's not a new trail. Vick can call me and I'll be more than happy to tell him what to do. Put the Playstation controller down, get in the film room and on the practice field and tune out the groupies who will excuse your every error by insinuating racism.

If Vick takes those steps, he could develop into Cunningham or maybe even Steve Young.

12. Cue the canned applause...

Draft saved Draft deleted