1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wladimir Klitschko -- King of the Heavyweights (Klitschko vs Brewster II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jul 7, 2007.

1. thedeparted

thedeparted New Member

Rok,

You have to understand, the punishment these guys take is real and looks a lot better from the TV than it actually feels in the ring. Most of the time after one loss or one tough fight a boxer is never the same physically or mentally. It's because the damage done to your brain is permanent, it affects your personality and intelligence level. People in boxing should pay closer attention to this fact , if I guy is losing he better get out of there before he spends the rest of his life finding it hard to function because of the incredible pain in his head.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The people I work with say it was a fix, that there's no way Klitschko could legitimately beat Brewster. They also say his last two fights against Ray Austin and Calvin Brock were fixed. Again, no way he could legitimately win those fights.
    They also say this guy is the best in the world, pound-for-pound:
    http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=126110

When I try to point out he hasn't fought anyone good, they ask if anyone has beaten him. When I have to admit nobody has, they think that proves their point.
    Then they shout me down with chants of "4-0-1! 4-0-1!"
    I'm not sure how I could win that argument.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hilarious. Really funny stuff. :)

Believe me, that right hand Brock got hit with was no 'dive' punch. That punch could have killed an untrained man. That was no fake or fluke.

Austin sucks, I can't even discuss that seriously.

Brewster was getting hammered in the first fight, really taking a beating. Wlad just tired out, and Lamon's chin and power saw him through the opening that Klitschko gave him. If your friends don't understand that, they don't know boxing too well. When you're 6'6"+, 243 lbs. of muscle and have trained hands, EVERY punch you throw hurts, even the ones that land on the opponents' arms, etc. Wlad has plenty of holes, but almost none of them are on the offensive side. He can beat anyone. He can also lose, but none of those 3 fights were fixed.

Departed - You're right, Brewster was taking a beating. That was just my first reaction to what happened. I really like Lamon and don't want to see him get hurt. It's just tough to see a corner throw in the towel at the end of the 6th round in a title fight, particularly given the two fighters' styles and history. But after looking at it some more, it was a good decision.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just saw the replay. And I'm sorry, but that was ridiculous. Weak, weak stoppage.

And shame on Bowe and Lampley trying to paint it like a courageous thing.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Nobody cares about Klitschko, he's not making REAL Money.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I think this falls into the category of "I'm shocked - shocked!!" you would write or think this.

:)

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, of course. He's white, and you know you can't make REAL money if you're white.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Rok: You can jump off that Margarito bandwagon. I told you before that guy is slower than a tortoise swimming in shit and his punches are horribly wide. If Williams was a little more disciplined he could've fought the whole fight from distance and tagged him at will.

That being said he had Williams dead to rights, but Williams had heart and conditioning. Meanwhile Margarito can bitch to EastsideBoxing.com since his whole reputation was built on the internet.

Thank you Gomez for retiring Gatti since he was too stupid to do it two years earlier.

Thank you Williams for giving us a potential Cotto-Mosley showdown.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Williams fought a great fight. That said, had Margarito won the final round, he retains his title. It's not like he got blown out.

But props to Williams. He just saved PBF's hide. And he fought a hell of a fight. Margarito just gave one round too many away too early.

Props to P-Dub. And PBF better be sending the flowers on the double.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Margarito never was and never will be on Mayweather's radar. I know that's your dream but it was never happening. No money in it for PBF, Margarito isn't a draw outside of L.A. and doesn't have any PPV numbers to talk about. He was set for a Cotto fight had he won, but now he can go back to being ducked.

He didn't get blown out, but he's not going to get any better in a rematch and Williams isn't going to get any worse. Believe me, I wasn't just guessing that Margarito is horribly overrated, enough people in the sport tell you how much a guy is being protected and covered and you start to listen. Margarito was more of an internet thing than a legitimate contender. He's not in the class of the PBFs, Hatton (even though he's being protected too), Mosley or Cotto.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

How about a little love for my boy Kermit Cintron while we're at it? I cringed every time they showed the KO punch in super-slo mo.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I understand.

Perhaps this will make the Brewster's shutout quit job go down a little easier.

- - -

Margo needed one round, he didn't get it. Them's the breaks. The Myth of PBF lives another day, waiting to bask in the glory of defeating another 35-year-old or a guy coming off of a loss. He is, without a doubt, definitely not a cherrypicker nor is he a guy whom celebrities at his fights walk out on, bored out of their minds. Larry Merchant absolutely didn't make him cry when Merchant confronted him about his lackluster style.

Cintron looked great. So great, I almost forgot Margarito made him cry when AM beat him down.

Hey, there is always hope. Who knows, if some of the American heavyweights start to show up in more of Venus-type conditioning and less like Serena-type conditioning, perhaps they will again be competitive. Perhaps. Maybe a couple less 'rainmaking' expeditions at the club could help? But then again, who thought foreigners would have made such an impact in the NBA, or MLB? Sometimes a fighter gets a little lazy, loses his edge, and that's when he is most suspect to getting beat.

We Americans, as a whole, are figuratively "on the ropes," and not just in professional athletics. Same with the economy, education, technical skills, etc. Let's hope we'll put down the cellphones, 3rd helpings, and Playstation consoles before it's too late and we get "KO'd." There are no birthrights, unless you happen to be a Bush or a Kennedy or whomever. No national or ethnic group has a permanent grip on any sport, skill or employment track, no matter how much certain of those subgroups' members might argue that their group does. Nope. Doesn't work that way. For anyone.

Props to P-Dub. He took the fight by two rounds, and he showed his mettle against a legit tough guy. He deserves props.

Draft saved Draft deleted