1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wladimir Klitschko -- King of the Heavyweights (Klitschko vs Brewster II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jul 7, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This could be a really good scrap. Brewster is one of only 3 men to defeat the younger Klitschko. Since the fight is in Germany, it is starting at about 5pm ET or so. Can't wait to check it out.

I've got Klitschko by KO/TKO in the later rounds. I'm thinking the 11th. Brewster could easily leave the ring with the title.

2. Re: IBF Heavyweight title fight: Wladimir Klitschko -vs.- Lamon Brewster II

Love boxing, rok, but can't care about this one.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: IBF Heavyweight title fight: Wladimir Klitschko -vs.- Lamon Brewster II

Last time I saw Brewster - at a neighborhood fundraiser in East LA three years ago - he was eating a doughnut.

He appears to have continued doing so with little interruption.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oy.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Klitschko wins by TKO as Brewster's trainer throws in the towel after the 6th round. Klitschko had won all 6 rounds fairly clearly. That said, I don't like the stoppage by trainer Buddy McGirt. This is how Brewster fights.

I understand what McGirt was doing/trying to do, but I still think it was too early.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: *SPOILER* Wladimir Klitschko -vs.- Lamon Brewster II

I understand, FB. I'm a lot more juiced for Margarito-Williams than I was for this.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Rok, was Brewster showing serious signs of wear and tear, or did McGirt just figured he didn't want him to fight anymore?

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

McGirt told him after the 5th that he was giving him one more round or he was going to stop the fight. Brewster did show more activity in the 6th, but he still lost the round. So McGirt called it. Brewster was somewhat tired and a little down, but he wasn't hurt and he was quitting. That said, he didn't protest much when McGirt halted the fight. I think McGirt should have waited another two rounds, at least. This is how Brewster fights; he takes a lot of punishment, lets you wear yourself down, and then he KO's you.

Having said that, Brewster is coming off of recent detached retina repairative surgery, and he wasn't getting a ton done in the fight, although he did land some decent shots in the 6th.

Buddy McGirt was a heck of a fighter and by all accounts is a great guy. His training record, however, is not so hot. This decision will be widely questioned, IMO, and deservedly so. Not because he did it, but when he did it. That's what I think.

:)

9. Re: *SPOILER* Wladimir Klitschko -vs.- Lamon Brewster II

Brewster looked a bit timid throughout. I guess that is what a constant jab will do to you. I just finished watching the Holyfield-Savarese fight and I was impressed w/Holyfield. He seems to be America's only hope in the heavyweight class.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I think I could look impressive against Lou Savarese, he's a 41-year-old man with no chin, no power and no ability to dodge a punch.

That being said Brewster half-assed the half of ass he brought to the ring and deserved no more than what Buddy gave him. Why should Buddy waste good training minutes on a guy who didn't throw or land a meaningful punch in the fight.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Wladimir Klitschko - King of the Heavyweights (Klitschko vs Brewster)

Nafselon - Brewster just couldn't get through the jab. He was trying to work the body and landed a few left hooks to the head, but Wlad's jab was working overtime.

That said, Brewster did not look great. But he didn't look good in the first fight, either. The difference, to me, is that Wlad wasn't going to make the mistake he made in the first fight and punch himself out.

I love McGirt, but he definitely is getting a rep as a trainer he doesn't want, fair or not. I hope he aligns himself with a very talented prospect(s) and wins several titles as a trainer.

I have always respected Holyfield, and I hope that he gets a good (read: not against Wlad K) shot at a title. Yes, Savarese is no great fighter, but he is big and durable, and Holy looked as good as he has in years in that fight. He was actually on his toes and dropped a huge left hook that put Savarese down. Forget about Buster Douglas -- Evan Fields is the guy who put the final nails in the coffin of The Tyson Mystique. I can still remember being in an Ithaca, NY sportsbar for that first fight and the place was packed and the two rooting sections were loud and edgy. Tyson and Holyfield are both favorites of mine, and there's part of me that was sad to see Mike get beat that way. But Holy earned it, and he fought his tail off that night. And he's still around now, looking for his 5th (4th?) heavyweight title. At 44. Freaking amazing. Is he 'using?' I'll leave that up to you. But the guy is 44. You have to respect that.

- - - - - -

I changed the name of the thread, so let me elaborate: Wlad Klitschko is the best fighter in the division now, in the wake of his dismantling shut-out victory over Brewster. I don't think either Ibragimov or Chagaev can presently beat him (well, maybe Chagaev). Makaev? I doubt it. We'll see how his fight with Samuel Peter goes. Sam Peter? Nope; no way. If they fight again Sam's going to get KO'd. Peter caught W. Klitschko at just the right time (still unconfident from the KO by Brewster and not yet having incorporated trainer Manny Steward's new tactics), and he still lost 10 of 12 rounds and was 1 punch away from hitting the deck in the 12th round. This "2.0" version of Wlad - much more confident and better at pacing himself - will stop the amateurish Peter within the distance should they meet again.

The next real challenge for Wlad? Well, he's not going to fight his brother Vitali, so that's out. As crazy as it sounds, Holyfield could give him a fight if Holy could reach back into the time machine. But I still think Wlad wins.

No, I think the next guy who could give Wlad trouble is rising Russian star Alexander Potvenkin (sp?). He's rugged, tough, aggressive, big enough and hits like a truck. I think that fight is at least two years away, however.

There is one guy who could say he has a good chance to defeat Wlad K, and that brings me to the fight the younger Klitschko needs to get signed now -- Corrie Sanders. Even at Sanders' advanced age, he still has substantial power in his very fast hands. Sanders was the only guy who just totally obliterated Wlad, and even at 40+ years old, if Sanders actually trains, he could do it again.

Let's hope Wlad makes this fight happen. Sanders still wants the fight, so have the lawyers draw up the contracts. Sanders is the last 'stain' on the younger Klitschko's record (well, Purity, but he's retired for good). If Klitschko is able to fight and defeat Sanders, it will take his career to the next level and then he can fight whoever he wants without having to answer any more unresolved questions.

12. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Passed out watching fight from hitting cardio hard now + boredom.

I watched the fight twice (normal feed & then again in HD). It sucked & didn't get better the second time.

Bottom line this was a sparring contest @ best. WK just getting in rounds. Brewster had no business being in there. He was there for one last payday hoping to get lucky - that's it (McGirt & him intimated as much in the post interviews).

This should not have been televised it was that bad. Brewster never tried to press anything consistently.

Heavyweight div is all Russian. Peter could be a threat if he learns some technique & gets some more cardio.

JDV

Draft saved Draft deleted