1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WKRP on DVD disappoints

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I was away at college in the South in the fall of 1978 and became friends with a DJ for the top rock station in the midsize city. My roommate and the DJ were from the same small town, and when the DJ caught his first big break to work in the city, my roommate dropped him a note, and the DJ dropped by one day. My roomie wasn't there, but the DJ and I tossed back a few shots of Jack Daniels and got along well. He and the roomie had nothing in common except their hometown, as it turned out, but the DJ and I hung out a lot until I left school at the end of the semester. He was just a good ol' Southern country boy who liked to party, and he thought WKRP was the greatest show ever. We were watching the night of the turkeys episode and I don't think I've ever seen anyone laugh harder. We lost touch after a while, and a few years ago I tried to locate him. His sister works on a small newspaper in Virginia, and she told me he had a massive stroke (he'd be in his early 50s now) and can't speak well enough to work in radio and that his memory is not so good. He doesn't remember me, apparently. Peace, Mike. I hope you get the DVDs and that it jogs your memory a little.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Ed as well.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Had a friend who once said Bailey was too top heavy. What? WHAT? My God, man. That's just insane. It's not like she's Morganna. She's just right. (Besides, is there really such a thing as being too top heavy?)

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A good take on it from (where else?) Cincinnati itself.
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070424/LIFE/704240372/-1/BACK01

... and Hessman sounds like a really cool guy. "Hey, they booed Dylan when he went electric."

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hesseman from that same story: "It's a weird hangover, but somebody's got to stagger through it." Classic.

If the difference between releasing it with all the original music was $70 to the current $40, shame on Fox Home Entertainment. I think sales would have been just as strong, given the authenticity factor.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Thanks for the link.
    I've watched almost half of the first season, even funnier than when I watched them back in 1978 when I was 11.
    The music cuts do stand out.
    I wish the extra features were longer and has interviewed more cast members (no Smithers, Sanders Sandy or Hesseman)

7. OK, who remembers the song with which WKRP changed formats?
    I remember that it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's version of "You're Having My Baby" that got ripped off the turntable by the Doctor.
    I think it was an AC/DC track, but I might be wrong.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I took an online quiz on that one time and missed it. I can't remember what the correct answer was.

9. THEN WHY DID YOU POST?
    This is killing me.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Video Killed the Radio Star"?

Oops. Wrong trivia question.

11. Somebody tell me son.

[​IMG]

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, you're for gun control when it suits you, Fenian.

Draft saved Draft deleted