1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WKRP on DVD disappoints

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Is that Phil Ochs on the left?

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Mmmm....Bailey Quarters indeed. She and Julie McCoy were my first crushes. I'd still take Bailey if I had to choose.

I saw some photos of Jan Smithers about a year ago. She's in her early 50s, but is still pretty damn attractive.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://www.nndb.com/people/664/000050514/jan-smithers.jpg

4. zufer

zufer Active Member

Well, my DVDs arrived today.

I'm a big fan of the show so it was worth it for the episode commentaries and bonus features. (Herb is looking pretty old).

Yes, the music isn't the same as the original, but it's still great to see the characters again. The writing remains about as good as any sitcom on the air today.

I got the bootlegs with the original music a while ago, so the purist in me is satisfied. The video quality on the new DVDs is noticeably better (not bad for late '70s videotape), and a single season with the extras fits on three discs compared to about six discs per season for the bootlegs.

There's been a lot of negative reviews about the music edits, but I guess it goes to show how passionate people are about the show.

I just hope enough people support the release for the studio to consider putting out seasons 2, 3 and 4. Maybe the buzz will prompt Fox to acquire more rights to the original music.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

6. August West

August West Member

i believe northern exposure and homicide had similar music licensing issues. i haven't seen the dvd releases of either, much as i'd like to, so i can't speak for missing footage.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I don't think Homicide has any music missing from the originals.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I sort of got a kick out of this one:

[​IMG]

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I bought it Tuesday and yes, the cutting of the music sucks.
    It is so blantantly obvious, still, it's better than nothing.
    Now they need to get the White Shadow: Season 3 out.

10. zufer

zufer Active Member

Loni Anderson (Jennifer), Frank Bonner (Herb) and Hugh Wilson (creator and producer) do the commentaries.

Loni seems to have fond memories and spends some time discussing "the nipple problem."

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

WHERE oh WHERE is EStreetJoe?? He is the king of WKRP clips on YouTube.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

Hopefully they can work out the copyright issues and get Wonder Years on DVD in intact form ...

Draft saved Draft deleted