1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WKRP in Cincinnati; The Remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Aug 3, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great point, Armchair. Among the things which made that series so great was how true to life it was for radio. There wasn't a DJ in America who didn't love it.

My DVR is filled with 'KRP reruns from WGN, so I will take a pass on the remake. I can still remember the original remake, which was dreadful.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jim Breuer is awful.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly, this would have been the perfect part for Bea Arthur....

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

bea arthur as mr. carlson!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go with a plot similar to the movie "FM" - but have WKRP - the third-rated righty station in the Nati fearing being taken over by a large chain with ties to New York.
    (And you know who lives in New York" - asks Les Nessman, now the station's most popular host, know for his classic anti-communist conservative)
    Nessman is touted with a billboard claiming Les was Conservative when it WAS cool, then WASN'T cool, then WAS cool, then WASN'T cool again. Rumoured to have taken on Rush Limbaugh as an intern in the early 80s.

Fever is now a conspiracy-theorist with an actual Phd. in Metaphysics and Neo-Science. Kind of went through a post 9/11 conversion ala Dennis Miller.

Carlson is waiting for a 91-year-old congressman to die because the GOP told him he is "next" once the old coot dies.

Flytrap is The Angry Black Man, telling Whitey that all of their fears about non-white people are TRUE.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Amen to that. A very depressing point.

If you also want to see a movie satire that came true, check out "Network" sometime. Reality TV, anyone?

Oh, and my vote for Jennifer Marlowe if a remake is made: Scarlett Johansson. :D

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And Christina Hendricks for the Loni Anderson role - easily.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Zooey Deschanel as Bailey is inspired casting.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The New WKRP in Cincinnati was pretty bad about 20 years ago, but as a radio geek and WKRP fan, I watched it religiously.

My parents bought me the DVDs of the original Season 1. I used to hang out in a radio station when in high school, and it was like hanging out at WKRP (it was an elevator music station, but the afternoon DJ would play Kiss on the internal speakers' "cue" system ... it later became a stoner rock station and now is an all-satellite Christian station).

It's amazing how true-to-life that show was. I think I've met or worked with most of the WKRP station's characters.

The biggest issue with WKRP -- and the thing that will dampen any remake of it -- is the RIAA's crackdown on music rights.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It was simply my favorite show as a kid.
    I still worry about the phone cops, man, and look up for cannonballing turkeys every time I hear a helicopter. Can't beat fishing with those Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of Worms, and fuck the WPIG Pig. Love listening to the Scum of the Earth while polishing my Silver Sow, Copper Cob and Buckeye News Hawk awards.

Oh, and one more word, babies ..... BOOOOOOOGER!

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Lindsay Lohan has the acting chops to play one of the frozen turkeys.

Well, maybe after rehab.

12. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

I would watch any abomination, even a WKRP remake, if it had Zooey Deschanel and Christina Hendricks.

Draft saved Draft deleted