1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wizard of Oz Redux by SJ.com ... for IJAG

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

A lot of people don't know the YBR was the original Brickyard.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

If you don't watch the Wizard of Oz, the terrorists win.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Peyote

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This far and no one has mentioned that the entire plot of the Wizard of Oz was a political parable? The Yellow Brick Road was the gold standard and I forget a bunch more...

You can learn all about it at L. Frank Baum Storybook Land in Aberdeen, South Dakota.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You and your wacky leftist fantasies, Zeke.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Political parable? Bullshit.
    It was just a trip...somehow some little girl on a farm in Kansas in 1939 got her hands on some good hallucinogens

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, the Free Silver movement was hot, hot stuff...

From the wiki article:

U.S. monetary policy references

From 1880 to 1896, the price level in the U.S. economy fell by 23% (deflation). Most farmers of the west during that time were debtors, making their interest owed to the banks worth more than expected due to the deflation. According to the Populists' beliefs of the time, the solution to the farmers' problem was free coinage of silver (the U.S. was operating under a gold standard at that time). Democratic presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan supported the free silver requisition, summarized in his Cross of Gold speech. However, Republican William McKinley won the presidency and the gold standard remained.

Historian Hugh Rockoff interprets the story of the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, in the Journal of Political Economy:

Dorothy: traditional American values
    Toto: Prohibitionist party (also called Teetotalers)
    Scarecrow: western farmers
    Tin Woodsman: industrial workers
    Cowardly Lion: William Jennings Bryan
    Munchkins: citizens of the East
    The Lollipop Guild: child labor
    Wicked Witch of the East: Eastern business and financial interests, Grover Cleveland
    Wicked Witch of the West: William McKinley
    Wizard: Mark Hanna (chairman of the Republican party)
    Oz: abbreviation for ounce of gold
    Yellow Brick Road: gold standard
    Cyclone: the free silver movement
    Emerald City: Washington D.C.
    Emerald Palace: the White House
    Silver Slippers: the free coinage of silver

At the end of the story, Dorothy finds her way home, but it is not by just following the Yellow Brick Road. After her journey, Dorothy finds that the Wizard is incapable of helping her or her friends. In the end, she finds that the magical powers of her silver slippers help her. Since the silver slippers are the vote, she realizes that she had the power to fix the problems all along.

It should be noted, however, that the historian David Parker, in an article referenced in this article, cites evidence that Baum was in fact an 1896 McKinley supporter who opposed "silverism" as undermining business confidence and believed that the answer to America's economic problems lay in the Republican policy of "sound money" and protective tariffs.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed that this wasn't Wizard Of Oz with SJ personalities.

I lightened up when I saw all the drug references.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

When I saw this thread title I figured it was one of your works Bubbler similar to what you did with Hoosiers. I was disappointed to find out it wasn't.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Is that your way of auditioning for the Scarecrow part, Bubs?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeaaah, me neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted