1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witness to a Suicide....Hard to Believe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 20, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to a "Swell Season" concert (Oscar winning stars of "Once") last night with wifey, her friend and friend's husband. Beautiful summer night in San Jose area. Not a big fan or anything but wife and friend are. Nice dinner. Sitter is lined up to midnight. All is well then towards end of the concert someone decides to literally jump 40 feet from the top of a building that is the stage's backdrop and commit suicide by landing on the stage during the performance. Bizarre and surreal. We were about 15 rows from the center stage. Luckily, since it was on average an older crowd (30-50) no panic. Simply hard to process that this would occur. Never seen anything like that before. Only way I can deal with it is just say out of my control, just wrong place at the wrong time.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/08/20/BA071F0TCS.DTL&type=newsbayarea

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Other than that, Mr. Law, how was the show?

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Nice!

4. I heard they killed.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was going to call you out for d_bing me (posted a link on the Kings of Leon/pigeons thread), but after reading your post, you win this one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Everyone is a critic!

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Come on! The show wasn't that bad. Was it?

8. Bizarre, surreal -- yes. Witnessing human suffering isn't easy to comprehend. Another resource is www.dartcenter.org. It's for journalists who cover war/trauma, but really it's for anyone who's trying to process what no human should have to witness.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did Jason Segal show up?

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

A guy from my J-school got to the scene of a guy threatening to jump off a bridge before the cops arrived while on his first work experience.

He wasn't able to stop the guy from jumping. Made for a horrific "my first experience in the biz" story.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dimebag Darrell's killer thinks this is not very creative.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dimebag's b-day is today.

Draft saved Draft deleted