1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without Sylvester Croom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 30, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know, Hack. I was just throwing his name out there.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

You are a greenhorn, just out of college, and don't understand a whole hell of a lot about a lot of things, I'm sure.
    Certainly nothing about what it entails to be a MSU fan.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe "should" is a matter of opinion. Sorry I lumped him in with a no-brainer like Willingham. He got 5 years, and regardless of whether Mississippi State will ever be able to consistently compete in the SEC, it is a conference in which you have to perform or else your job gets handed to someone else. Last year was great, but coaching is a "what have you done for me lately" profession. I'd feel differently if he was going on year 3, not year 6, but he got his run and I could understand a sentiment to move on after that embarrassing 45-0 loss to Ole Miss in the rivalry game.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, this is 2006 and the number or the lack of African American coaches is awful.
    If an African American football coach gets a head coaching job, it's usually in a shitty situation and he's asked to perform a miracle. Kinda like what's happening with this country now, but I'm not going there.
    For once, I'd like to see an African American coach get a job at a good job at a football powerhouse.
    Croom was the toast of Mississippi last year at this time. Now, he's gone. It shows you just how things can go.
    Houston Nutt is currently dancing in Oxford but he screws up next year, I don't think people will be calling for his resignation. And let's not forget that Mississippi didn't interview any minority candidates prior to hiring Nutt.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good to see you don't take yourself seriously at all. I was worried.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You were? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

yes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The tough thing with black coaches is there aren't any retreads. If schools want a name, which most of the big programs do, they can go get a Neuheisel or a Houston Nutt or a Lane Kiffin because they are known and have been around. Black coaches haven't gotten the chances in the past and still are unknown, so they don't get looked at by the big programs as much. It's a self-defeating cycle. As for smaller schools (MAC, C-USA, WAC), there's no good reason there aren't more black coaches there; there are enough qualified assistants to be looked at for those jobs.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Been trying to find out the percentage of African American football coaches and percentage of African American assistant coaches. Anyone with a link out there?

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Discuss the topic of black coaches in the college ranks.
    Or the topic of Sylvester Croom's performance at MSU.

The rest who want to talk about other non-related stuff, the insults, whatever - I say to hell with you.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dear Blitz: What historical precedent suggests Mississippi State should excel in a league that includes Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU and Tennessee, among others?

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Specifically, Mississippi State has won eight or more games in five of the past 27 seasons: 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2007.
    According to the NCAA's major infractions database, the school committed several major violations in 1991-93 and 1998-2000. Notice any correlation between the dates of the violations and the most successful seasons?

Draft saved Draft deleted