1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without Sylvester Croom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 30, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Batman,

While UW stunk like chili night at the VFW Hall this year, the team was a far cry from the Slick Rick era of running the office pool and players running afoul of the law. And that is why UW and ND hired him - to restore pride about Sunday through Friday.

You are right that almost any coach, regardless of skin color, would struggle mightily at Starkville. That is the raw deal black coaches get. Ty and Sy both got jobs that required heavy duty lifting on the Sunday through Friday aspects of the program, just as much as on the Saturday aspects. My fear is that black coaches will be seen as the guys to rebuild Sun-Fri aspects, but since those jobs are so hopeless, their lack of Saturday success will be unfairly held against them.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3 out of 119 is disgraceful. Willingham and Croom should have gone, but Ron Prince didn't get a chance to do enough before being shown the door. I don't imagine his firing had anything to do with race, but still... A friend said to me yesterday that we have a black president, but it will be another 50 years before the SEC sees another black head coach. He was only joking. 3 out of 119 is just disgraceful.

3. How can you say Croom should have gone? He was the SEC coach of the year last year, after taking over a sanctioned program four years before. On the hot seat next year, sure. But this year should've been a mulligan.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The fact that Hal Mumme and Neuheisel are still coaching says all you need to about where the priorities are in college football.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But that's just not true.
    Jackie S. came in and immediately went to three straight bowls (Liberty, Peach, Peach) at MSU.
    Rockey Felker, before him, had indeed been competitive in the in-state recruiting war with Ole Miss and Southern
    Rockey just couldn't organize it.
    Jackie did, then ran into mild probation trouble in the mid-90s and at the end of his 13-year tenure there (with 3-straight three-win years) and big probation, to boot.
    But "not being able to win at Starkville" is simply not accurate.
    It can be done. At least 6 or 7 wins a year is the lowest they should expect or tolerate there.
    Occasional BCS participation should be attainable and expected.
    The school has never won a "team" national title in any sport.
    Facilities are in place, though some will say they aren't as good as the next program's.
    That's always gonna be a debatable issue. I think they have fine-enough facilities.

Listen, the bottom line on MSU recently is this:
    They didn't learn a thing from the bowl win in 2007.
    The star - Pegues - got an open container and driving with suspended license charge during the summer.
    He got out of that, but later didn't go to class and got suspended for the opener at La.Tech, which they lost by a touchdown.
    Two more starters had guns that they pulled on campus, along with other "participants" who tried to cover it all up.
    There was nothing learned and no push for "something even better".
    Sad story.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And the punting sucked big-time again this season !

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I don't understand schools that don't hire Chuck Neinas. He knows everyone and allows schools and candidates to find out about each other with each having the right of denial ("No, I have not had any conversations with school X").
    He put Bob Stoops at Oklahoma, Mack Brown at Texas, Les Miles at Ok. State and LSU, Butch Davis at UNC, Tom O'Brien at N.C. State and Mark Richt at Georgia. I also think he put Urban Meyer at Florida.
    Your school hiring Neinas means they have a f'in clue.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Whatever.
    The AD and his old man are good friend with Godfather Neinas, I know that.

I just think these searches could be conducted without the help of consulting firms.
    That's my f'in opinion, so there.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

When you're Mississippi F'in State, you need all the help you can get.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. When's the last time a major school conducted a search without a consulting firm? Notre Dame, maybe? I don't remember.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Fuck you, too.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Seriously? A tad touchy, are we?

Draft saved Draft deleted