1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without Sylvester Croom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is it big news in your area that there are only 3 African American head coaches out of 119 major college football programs?

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I thought it was two because Tyrone Willingham is out too.

I know Turner Gill is one of them. Who are the other two?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Shannon at UM is one.

4. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Kevin Sumlin of Houston is the other

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is it is a concern that there are so few African-American coaches? Yes.
    Should coaches like Croom or Willingham be treated differently when their teams suck? Hell no.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Croom made it easy on MSU by resigning.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Croom is a good man and had big plans for State.
    His teams did not win consistently, though, there at State, so he had to go.
    Especially after the final 2008 game, when the players didn't even show up for the rival clash.
    That indicates that 09 10 and 2011 wouldn't be consistently better.
    Sylvester Croom will land on his feet, and he will compensated properly and he will find inner happiness.
    It's the nature of the business.
    Whether you are black, white or other ethnicity ... if you can't win consistently, you will not find work as a head coach.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There will likely be a few more added to that list soon to fill some vacancies.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

This struck me as odd yesterday.

CBS touched on this at halftime of their games and Tim Brando basically let Spencer Tillman have his say. Tillman said that it was a travesty and that recent openings like the Tennessee job shouldnt have been filled with someone "unqualified" like Lane Kiffin, but instead Charlie Strong.

I think Strong is a good coach (but certainly could not have put together the staff that Kiffin is), however - the head coach of a program is a CEO and the face of the university, and perhaps the state. How many people know the governor of Arkansas and then how many people know who the head coach of Arkansas is?

Strong - much like Norm Chow - has been a viable candidate for several jobs; but can't get one and its likely due to the inability to be that CEO. Charlie is a good coach, but his media relations would be a horrendous move for a major university. (It wasn't even good enough for Vanderbilt to take a chance on, IIRC).

10. Once you get the job, this is true.
    Unfortunately, the sample size isn't big enough yet...in 2008.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You can add Joker Phillips to the list, at least when Rich Brooks steps down at Kentucky.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Croom stepping down is unfortunate, don't know if he was bought out or what, but I think it's part of a disturbing trend in college football where some programs have such short memories. I don't have a problem getting rid of a coach with a losing record after three or four years who hasn't shown progress (Mr Weis?), but when you have a coach like Croom who got MissState to a winning record a year ago, a bowl game and was the SEC coach of the year, - it kind of makes you wonder. There are a few other coaches, white and black, who get bounced with winning records at schools that shouldn't have such high expectations.
    But I think the final judgement on whether a coach should have been sacked or not shouldn't be made until you see the replacement.
    I still think there were more qualified and better choices for Tenn. than Kiffin, white and black.

Draft saved Draft deleted