1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Wonder...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Found a box of old VHS tapes (unlabeled, of course), so I found a VCR (remember those?), hooked it up and explored a bit.

And I stumbled across some episodes on what is perhaps my favorite television show, "The Wonder Years."

Watching a few episodes reminded me just how much I loved this show, especially for the writing and the amazing use of music, the one that tugged on my heartstrings the most being Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight" at the end of the episode, "The Accident." (the song wasn't released until 1979, but that's beside the point).

They don't make 'em like this, anymore...

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree. Great show -- one that should still be on, regularly, even if only in reruns.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've been watching a bunch of episodes through Netflix. I love that show.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Get Netflix.

5. partain

partain Member

Also available online through Amazon. I think right now they have the entire series free to Prime members.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

They had to change a bunch of the songs for Netflix and Amazon streaming. Still no DVD release for that reason. Sucks. I'd love to own that.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you know what songs were switched, that will drive you crazy. Same thing happened with WKRP.

Wonder Years was awesome though.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I never (not once) watched the show when it was originally broadcast, but occasionally I heard and read good things about it.

Then a few years ago I was channel-surfing after getting out of work late at night and it was on the Hub. So I started watching and over a year or so, saw most of the episodes.

Kevin's fictitious age was within a couple years of mine, so most of the topical pop culture references were right up my alley. Overall I'd give the series about a B+ for chronological accuracy (although I do remember there were a few glaring gaffes).

Having never seen the shows in original broadcast, I didn't hear the original soundtracks, but I do remember thinking some of the background music seemed weird and kind of arbitrarily stuck in there.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What is the deal with the songs?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Copyright and royalty issues. The producers probably got only limited performance rights to many of the songs and would have to pay extra to use them in re-releases.

I suppose if I had been the series producers, I would have scoured around and come up with a really really good 60s/70s cover band, and simply had them do cover versions of the songs for the show, since period music was obviously going to be a big part of the show from the get-go.

11. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Copyrights

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Holding the rerun music against The Wonder Years is silly. Most of the stuff that seems out of place is that way because it wasn't the original music.

Has any show ever gone against contrivance more than The Wonder Years? I think it's the most realistic depiction of male adolescence ever in any pop-culture format.

Draft saved Draft deleted