1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With this Dumbass in Chief, can the world last another 26 months?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have issues with Gore. Big ones. But the 2000 presidential result is a tragedy from which we may not recover, ever, in terms of broad aftereffects.

2. Why does anybody believe that this guy will listen to the ISG commission recommendations, much less DO anything about them? To change the course in any way is to admit he screwed up and, if he does that, his whole fragile world collapses.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I just got my annual Jimmy Carter Christmas card. This year, I wet the tip of my finger to try wiping off the ink. It looks awfully real, but I can't seem to get it to smudge. Either they use a really good pen, or it's fake. I'm not sure why I got the thing. It probably has something to do with my financial support of the ACLU and Amnesty International. I believe there was a note attached that probably explains why he sent it to me, but I didn't bother with that. I just wanted to see the signature and pretend for a moment that I'm not a slovenly low-life.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Just when I thought "Bush is the worst president ever" would be the craziest over-statement on this thread. I mean, wow.

Ever? EVER?

Wow.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Speaking of which....

Guns N' Roses dump support band
    After Axl Rose criticises them onstage
    Guns n' Roses have dumped support band Eagles Of Death Metal from their tour.

The band were let go after the reception they received from the audience at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena on the first night of a tour that was meant to last for three weeks.

The Eagles Of Death Metal took the stage and, according to John Soeder writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the band were met with : "not deafening boos, but lots of grumbling and grousing and...indifference".

According to MTV, at the start of Guns n' Roses slot, Rose came out on stage and said :"So how'd you like the Pigeons Of Shit Metal? Don't worry, that's the last show they're playing with us."

In a statement released on Monday (November 27), the Eagles Of Death Metal said: "At first the audience refused to welcome us to the jungle, but by the time we took our final bow, it had become paradise city. Although Axl tried to November Rain on our parade, no sweet child o' mine can derail the EODM night train. We say live and let die."

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

One person should be worth one vote in this country,

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Both of those statements are right on.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Seriously though...worst president ever? Buchanan? Grant? Harding? Coolidge? Filmore? Benjamin Harrison?

And I'm not even that crazy about Bush these days...I might grant you he's the worst president of the last 25 years. But EVER?

Honestly.

And the idea that the 2000 election has dealt this nation a blow from which she will never recover is part of the reason ordinary people have trouble taking political activists -- on either side of the aisle -- seriously.

Of course, it's hard to expect a whole hell of a lot of restraint and logic from a guy who apparently believes Bush is so bad he might actually cause the world to end. Yikes.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've heard that it's Bush who is trying to cause the world to end to jumpstart the rapture. I'm confident he'll screw that up, too.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Since I'm a cursing, smoking, drinking, non-church-attending and otherwise sinful Jew, I'm really looking forward to the Rapture. The cars, houses and other worldly possessions of the righteous will be abandoned and ripe for the picking? Awesome.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

With the dollar going straight to hell and the industrial base of the country in the sewer (not to mention the housing-market dip and the outsourcing of hundreds of thousands of real jobs) . . .
    yeah, I'd say we've got trouble, right here in River City.

And I didn't even mention intravenous-Jack-Daniels-boy's lovely war.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I applaud that you're obviously a presidential historian of particular distinction. I'll readily admit that I made my statement without spending three months doing research. But I'll stand by the statement. The guy is a snake, the reincarnation of the devil.

This guy is so horrific in his role as leader of the country that I actually had a casual conversation with a neighbor, who seemed taken aback when I suggested that, perhaps, Bush is just flat-out insane. My neighbor had never considered that angle, but it does seem to gain appeal each day.

Draft saved Draft deleted