1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With the Olympics, I miss the Cold War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was checking the medal table today, and did a quick count to find that not only is the U.S. kicking ass in the medal count, we'd still be kicking ass even if you reassembled the old U.S.S.R. We had 6 total. Russia as it stands has 1 and the former U.S.S.R would only have 2.

God I miss the Cold War.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Georgian luger who died would've been on the Soviet team, and there would've been a detente over shared grief. I'm not sure that's ever happened with the notable exception of Munich, which I was too young to remember.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other day that if the Russians and Canadians play in hockey I might root for the Russians, no offense to our Canadian friends on the board. I would have never imagined that possible as a kid.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll root for the Russians for pure schadenfreude reasons. Canada can win 40 medals for all I care, but I am really hoping they finish off the podium in curling and win maybe a bronze in ice hockey.

5. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Looks like the krauts are beating us.
    And now the krauts are leading....

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I admit I miss the 'Us vs. Them' hatred aspect of the Olympics. I still remember feeling awkward rooting for Czechoslovakia (sp?) in the gold medal hockey game in 1984 because they were facing the Soviets. I figured that even though they were two Commie teams, I'd root for the less powerful one.

Today, it almost feels like rooting for the U.S. is like rooting for U.S. Steel.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Was captivated by Olga Korbut in 1972 (and that heavenly national anthem) . . . and have been a Russophile ever since.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

If the Georgian luger had been a Soviet, we'd still be waiting to hear that he died.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

About the closest I have ever come to supporting anything from the other side of the Iron Curtain was Katarina Witt in 88. And yes, I still have the Playboy. Detente was good for one thing.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's not hyperbole to say that, if we win 40 medals but one of them is not gold in men's hockey, the Olympics will be considered a failure.

People can talk all they want about "winning silver" as opposed to losing gold, and it may well be true in some sports, but not in hockey. Not in Canada. Gold is the only coloUr that matters.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heavenly, yes. The "Rocky" version doesn't do it justice because the "choir" overpowers the instruments.

But here are many slices of that heaven.

http://www.hymn.ru/index-en.html

Draft saved Draft deleted