1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Sterling gone, do sports owners now need to tread carefully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 1, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hopefully no baseball owner says anything derogatory about Dominicans. :D

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Just went to see the Globetrotters with my kids. They aren't very good. They didn't play the Generals but a group of local "all-stars" who were totally and intentionally anonymous (no names on their jerseys, never introduced). The Globetrotters would have lost if not for the gimmicks (5 point trick play challenges etc.). Also, assuming that they're targeting kids, it was too PG-13 for my taste, but I'm pretty sensitive to these things.

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Fixed that for ya.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He wasn't an owner, and he was talking about management and not fans, but Al Campanis was the Donald Sterling of his time. Yeah, if an owner was caught saying he hated Latinos and didn't want them at the games, that would be the closest I could think to a Sterling-type situation in another sport. Unless a hockey owner said he hated Canadians.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Looks like things have evolved to a "don't ask, don't tell" situation.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't take any kids of any race to see the Globetrotters.

They still pander to a lot of the dumbest 1940s stereotypes of what "black people" are supposed to be about.

Stepin Fetchit in Nikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted