1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Sterling gone, do sports owners now need to tread carefully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 1, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An owner being overtly anti-LGBT or overtly TEA Party or overtly Greenpeace is probably one of Silver's great fears right now.

When I say overtly, I mean when a TMZ camera is in their face, are they going to go off on LGBT, Obama or the Koch Brothers are they going to give them all the sound bytes they need. Because being one side or the other will cost you sponsors, but it will also give you new sponsors.

Racism against African Americans and Jews pretty much will get you ostracized in a public forum. The others, not so much.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

Helen Thomas was a wonderful person. I've been told this on a number of occasions.

She "went off" in front of a camera and microphone, and folks here defended her honor and reputation.

Surely, an NBA owner could get away with the same thing, right?

3. 93Devil

How many people does Helen Thomas employ? Which city does her team represent? What people did she go off on that were not elected officials?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Helen Thomas wasn't ousted from her job? The president didn't criticize her for what she said?

5. YankeeFan

LOL.

I just think it's funny that Devil can't wait for a "TEA Party" owner to "go off" in front of a microphone. We all know they're racist. If we stick a microphone under their nose often enough, you can bet we'll get them to say something dastardly. They're horrible people.

Now, Helen, oh, poor Helen. Sure she lost her job. But, she wasn't a bad person. Certainly she wasn't an anti-Semite. She was a great person. An inspiration.

She was just a little old, and a little confused. She probably should have retired a few years earlier.

6. 93Devil

You're not getting it.

It was about taking a side on a divisive political view.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good heavens, no. I'm going for the Timberwolves or an NHL team.

8. YankeeFan

The Washington Generals is the kind of team Mark could get behind.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always figured that Red Klotz was a racist as they did not have
    many black players on The Generals

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's OK. How many white players did the Harlem Globetrotters have?

The street runs in both directions, but nobody ever talks about that.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They just could not find any white guys living in Harlem at that time.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the greatest leaders in sports were legendary racists.

Bear Bryant, Adolph Rupp, Vince Lombardi... Granted, those were all ages ago.

I'm curious if anyone has that kind of reputation now, even if they're way under the radar.

Draft saved Draft deleted