1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Sterling gone, do sports owners now need to tread carefully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 1, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Players better be careful what they ask for. Next time some player makes a derogatory remark about gender, race or religion, Silver now has the precedent to hammer him. "If I can suspend an owner for life, I can surely suspend you for 20 games."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will be interesting to see what happens the next time someone does that. How many times has that happened? I can think of Charlie Ward's religious views, Kobe calling a ref a "faggot" was Tim Hardaway still active when he did the infamous DLB interview?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

LeBron was a villain for two years over The Decision. Or about one year, 51 weeks and five days longer than noted sex offender Kobe Bryant was for his "faggot" remark.

America, the land of misplaced outrage.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Do you doubt that public opinion is there on gay rights?

5. Mizzougrad96

After the Vail incident, it seemed like Kobe was only without certain endorsements for about a season.

6. Mizzougrad96

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried. I can just imagine GLAAD coming out the next time a player/coach/owner makes an anti-gay comment and compares that person to Sterling.

I don't think they'll be successful doing that, but that won't prevent them from trying.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You mean like Orlando owner Rich DeVos?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-04-30/sports/os-nba-magic-rich-devos-mike-bianchi-0501-20140430_1_rich-devos-nba-commissioner-adam-silver-donald-sterling

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yes

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This. If you could mind-read everyone, I suspect you'd find others who hold non-PC views on all sorts of issues. Heck, we already know how much the wealthy hate Obama and his kind.

The world has gone so politically correct that you just can't say anything, anywhere to anyone anymore without some major blacklash from people who have nothing to do with anything. Sort of sad. Part of why I hate current society.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So now it seems a requirement for playing the game is one must past a litmus test of social positions (race issues, gay marriage, abortion, gun issues, whatever....) in order to be accepted. Count me out.

As for Sterling, the guy is 80 years old. He doesn't need the grief to begin with. He should sell off to the highest bidder, retire to a mansion someplace with a long list of 20-something mistresses to massage his ego and any other parts that might need massaging.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It seems that to who?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Were you thinking of buying the Clippers?

Draft saved Draft deleted