1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With gay marriage decided, what will be the next big left-led social change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 30, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Run for your lives! The churches are under attack!

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Death penalty is next. I agree on what somebody earlier said about cannabis. It isn't a left or right issue, except in some really ultra-right places like Utah. In fact, pot is an issue on a tee for supposed libertarians.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

As someone pointed out earlier, churches already refuse to perform or host weddings for certain people. A Catholic friend of mine was turned away by her first choice of a church for her wedding. I don't remember the specific reason but it was more subjective than a scheduling conflict -- something about her lack of attendance or something. I grew up in a denomination where women can't preach or lead singing or prayers, or even teach classes of adult men. I think the practice is ludicrous, but a sex discrimination lawsuit would be too. (None have been filed, obviously.)

Again, if churches were going to be threatened in this way, it would have already started in the first states where same-sex marriages was legalized. Can anyone cite examples of actions being brought, let alone winning? (Not being a smartass here -- it's possible it happened and I missed it -- but I've looked and can't find any.)

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

One could argue that, when it comes to civil rights, these concepts should be decided in the courts rather than the ballot box.

And there IS an electoral component to the SCOTUS. Democratic presidents have won four of the last six and five of the last nine Presidential elections. It makes sense that legal interpretations have been leaning left. Three of the five oldest current justices were appointed by Republican presidents, and the oldest, RBG, is one of the liberals. November 2016 could have a big impact on the near future makeup of the court.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If it was decided at the ballot box, much of the south would still have colored only drinking fountains. If gay marriage is put to a vote, their rights will be overrun by those who are not concerned by them.

In the wake of Brown vs. Board of Ed. Eisenhower had to call out the National Guard to get black children in school, and if certain parties have their way we'll be on that road again.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No. Almost all polling has it at 60 percent in favor, 37 against.

Marriage | Gallup Historical Trends

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That one ain't happening and one reason why: It'd be a kind of close-the-doors tax on poorer, black churches, for sure.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Polygamy is the Next Big Thing. Almost impossible to formulate an argument against it, based on the gay marriage decision.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Nobody is born a polygamist." – Jon Stewart.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't think we've explored this "NFL Blowjob Girl" thing nearly enough.

sostartled, BDC99 and Songbird like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted