1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With friends like Pakistan...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 4, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In addition to the blackout, the lockdown and the crackdown, now they're rounding up the opposition. Where does this end?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/world/asia/04cnd-pakistan.html?hp

2. markvid

markvid Guest

With Musharraf dead.
    Bank on it.

3. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

With more of the disenfranchised turning to our enemies. The real Al-qeada has been in Pakistan since we ran them there but why would we fight them when we have had so much fun in Iraq. Good choice of battlegrounds thanks Cheney.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Armageddon outta here!

5. Crazy people with real nukes.
    Lovely.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Yeah, this won't end well.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Which is why taking our eye off Afghanistan and the tribal region of Pakistan nearly five years ago was so ridiculous. This was always going to be an extremely perilous situation; getting distracted in Iraq has made it damn near impossible.

8. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Newsweek has on its cover this week:

"Iraq is not the most dangerous country in the world - It's Pakistan !"

Photo is of several extremist types reaching out in love/hate-fest with camera.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You might be right about what you are saying about where the real threat is... But as shitty a campaign as we have run in Iraq, we would have brought an end to the world by attacking an unstable place with nuclear weapons.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Which is why North Korea now has a nuke.

They think Iran is trying to get one, but we will never know since Valerie Plame's and Brewster Jennings' cover was blown by Darth.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whenever I see Seymour Hersh's name in the TOC of the New Yorker I instinctively shit a brick. Less so now than right after 9/11. But the stuff he was reporting about the machinations of this administration made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. In the interest of full disclosure, I actually assumed a lot of the BS he was calling was the truth, but I also took the stance that Iraq didn't have nukes, was relatively weak, was a rogue nation with a dictator hurting his own people, and I wasn't going to lose sleep if we took him out. I was wrong. In fairness, I also assumed that we'd have competent analysts capable of predicting the ramifications of our actions and capable of planning and executing something that put an emphasis on the PLANNING -- something this giant-fuck has lacked and has been the root of many of the problems we are seeing. Perhaps if the analysis had been done correctly, we would have concluded that the competing factions in Iraq made it impossible to create a stable country in the wake of Saddam being brought down.

The reason I bring this up, a month or two, Seymour Hersh had another New Yorker article that got a bit less notice. I think people have become desensitized to him because nothing is shocking anymore. People expect this administration to do the wrong thing. But I took immediate notice. The short version of the story is that the administration is currently making up shit to create the basis for an invasion of Iran. And it is complete BS. All reasonable worldwide intelligent estimates conclude that they are NOT close to having a nuclear weapon. They are at least 5 years away and probably longer. Yet, if you listen to the rhetoric coming from Bush's people, you'd think they have Christopher Collet (17-year-old Paul Stevens in The Manhattan Project; anyone else remember this movie?) two days away from a fully-functional world-destroyer in some secret basement in Tehran.

And according to Hersh -- and even though I think he takes liberties, he is a hell of an investigative reporter with a crazy rolodex of people who will talk to no one else -- it is all BS. I was skeptical when he had an article a week after 9/11. My skepticism has been eaten away by experience.

I fear.

12. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

North Korea was supposed to be a few years from getting nukes also. Granted our intelligence is likely superior in Iran.

The scary thing to me is that Bush can and probably will attack Iran even if the majority of the US public and the incoming administration is against it. A nice way to invalidate our "democracy" in a bloody way.

Not to mention the fact that its not our job it is Israels job. Israel has been threatened with destruction not us. Doing this for Israel will only make it that much harder to win the war of Ideology.

Why put our ass on the line for Israel when they can do the job themselves?

Draft saved Draft deleted