1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Apple Tablet, Print Media Hope for a Payday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

To be fair, I don't know that they need to do any of that. You've used the iTunes store, I imagine, or something at least incredibly similar.

Perhaps at the end of the night, once everyone is ready to leave, you e-mail your locally-originated (i.e. non-wire) stories to someone at Apple. They format them for the thing and upload to a server, and, like music, you can then purchase either the individual songs/stories for 10 cents or so or the album/paper for one lump price.

Click "Purchase" and ta-da.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A song has replay value. A story does not. People will resist paying for it a la carte for that reason.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

People buy a hard copy of a paper, though.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ten reasons to not buy one:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/company-news/apple-itablet-top-10-reasons-not-to-buy-one/19330378/?ncid=webmaildl3

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All valid points against the purchase. It would be like walking around with your lap top computer screen.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some good stuff here ...

http://gizmodo.com/5456803/pondering-the-apple-tablets-print-revolution?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And it shall be called the iPad.

Cheap version will run around $499, jazzier model around $700.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just what we needed. A giant iTouch. Newspapers are saved!

Anyway, best to wait for Apple to fix the bugs, then come back in 6-24 months. Good thing Jobs doesn't make airplanes.

9. House

House Member

So, how will this change the fact that people will still want us to just give away our product? As far as I can tell, they'll still be reading our Web sites via a browser. How long until news apps are developed in conjuncture with locking up the Web sites behind pay walls?

Note to the public: Fuckin' pay me!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

While I think its time to bite the bullet on pay or no paywall, this will be a big year for newspapers. I think the paywall experiment will fail, but in a way that CEOs will say doesn't completely discourage them.
    Once the technology gets cheap enough where publications are giving iPads away with a subscription (so they can preload all the advertising gizmos) - it might work. Right now - in this economic climate? I'm not sure.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Today's Doonesbury has an interesting point, made by Roland Hedley in the third frame:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted