1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Apple Tablet, Print Media Hope for a Payday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, does anybody have high hopes for this?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Right now you can get most major newspapers on Kindle

Times is $13.99 per month or $167.88 annually.

Can be a huge money maker for the paper.

Be interesting if they try to cut Amazon out and jack up fee.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How big is the Kindle screen diagonally?

The Apple tablet is supposedly going to have a 10 inch diagonal screen.

Everybody I know who has a Kindle loves it. I used to travel a ton, and if I still did, I'd buy a Kindle in a second.

I've downloaded Kindle for iPhone, but I can't imagine actually reading a book on it.

I'm curious to see how media looks on this thing & if it has other useful applications it might be worth getting.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If Apple made a deal with sports leagues to stream live games, including my local teams, I'd get it in a second. A bonus would be a $20 per month subscription for several newspapers, plus magazines.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard that this was Steve Jobs' think-tank that would end up giving a boost to media online. Here's hoping it takes...of course, anything would help...but this could be the future in 5-10 years.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I can remember a J-school prof 15 years ago holding up a drawing of a tablet and saying your paperboy would deliver the newspaper via disk every day.

Amazing that, in all of the changes in technology in the intervening years, we're pretty much to that point (with iTunes replacing the disk).

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I got the kindle application on my itouch and I love it. Small screen, but easy to read and perfect for my attention span.

There is also a free NYT app too.

Really enjoying it.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Apple Tablet is allegedly going to cost around $1000, but no one seems to know for sure.

9. House

House Member

I'd love for it to work. I have a Kindle, and I subscribe to NYT. I would love for SI or ESPN to make long-form stories available to the Kindle.

But a tablet computer with a front-end marketplace similar to iTunes ... it's years away from saving us. It'll be a niche item at first for the hip, city folk.

Of course, those of us stuck working in the sticks still deal with people who don't have e-mail addresses and high schools that still use Geosites or something just as dated, so I can't see this affecting my paper a damn bit. Maybe in 10 years.

Plus, we don't have the personnel to figure this out. We have two software guys and a former TV production worker for our "webmaster." Copy editors upload stories, and most days they can't even get them on the right section front. I gave up trying to teach them any of this a long time ago. So, touch-activated Web sites? That's a laugh.

My personal interest in the tablet would end with national publications. The places in Bumfuck that do city and county news won't catch up to this for a while.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have smaller version of Kindle. Outer measurements are 5 x 8

Screen size is 3.5 x 5 which is perfect. You can also easily adjust font size.

To me its the perfect size and I would not want anything larger.

To say newspaper delivery digitally will arrive with the Apple tablet is incorrect. It has already arrived with the Kindle.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Kindle on touchscreen iPhone, si, Kindle by itself without touchscreen, no.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Agreed. Even with the smaller screen, I'll take the Kindle on my iPod over the standalone Kindle.

Draft saved Draft deleted