1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With a D R I V E off into the sunset!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

OscarMadison, Liut and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hockey is easily the hardest of the sports for play by play. Doc made it seamless. Enjoy retirement. Your voice will be missed.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know there are people who didn't like Doc Emrick, but I always loved it when I flipped to a game and saw he'd be doing the play by play. There was always an amazing joyousness when he was describing what he was watching, and it just seemed so genuine to me. He's also incredibly quick. I always found his enthusiasm infectious, not annoying. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Love some Doc. I wonder who NBC taps as their big-time PxP voice now. Kenny Albert would seem to be a natural choice. He's excellent.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I am curious to see who the next guy is. I hear they have some guy on staff named Al Michaels, he has some hockey experience ... (yes, I know it's not happening)

What ragu mentioned about the joy is spot on. If we all could be that enthusiastic about our work at 75.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

John Forslund would be a good choice, as well.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

HERE IT COMES

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Jay Greenberg tells a good story about covering the Kansas City Scouts first training camp in Port Huron, Mich. as a cub reporter.

In a nutshell, Emrick was Port Huron's radio and public relations guy. He was diligent helping Greenberg during that camp. Fast forward, they worked together in Philly. Both have been honored by the Hockey Hall of Fame.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember once flipping through channels during a quiet weekend in the newsroom during one of the NHL work stoppages, and coming up on a small college hockey game ... that Doc was doing PBP for. And Doc was treating it like a Stanley Cup playoff game.

He'll be missed greatly.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely will be missed. I always enjoyed him on games. Hell, he was great on Olympic water polo. Enjoy retirement.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The very, very best. I love this line from the Post story:

“Plus, I’ve now accumulated enough frequent-flyer miles — to not go anywhere.”

Draft saved Draft deleted