1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing the best to Murray Chass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

One of the best baseball writers ever. Also did some outstanding work covering the Loma Prieta earthquake while assigned to cover the Bay Bridge Series in 89, as I recall. He'll be missed. Never met the man, but he unknowingly inspired me to pursue this profession. Not his fault it turned out like it did. I pray for his health.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

An industry giant. Get well soon.

Casty, why do you write stuff like that? Who wouldn't wish Chass the best? Don't get me wrong, it's endearing, but in a grumpy uncle kind of way. ;)

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

His contempt for Steinbrenner made him aces in my book. Everything else is a bonus.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I thought Casty meant that he, Casty, didn't care about the rest of us, even as he wished Murray the best. ;D

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Yes, Bubbler, I guess I have become a grumpy uncle lately. I just feel there are so many negatives written -- even on our site -- that I somehow expected someone to be critical of Murray as being only a union reporter. There are some who felt that way, but I can tell you from reporting experience that he had as many sources on management side as he did on the union side. He knows every owner and every GM and they all return his phone calls.

I'm happy to read the supportive responses to my announcement and I, too, hope Murray is writing again as soon as his health allows.

And Joe, I care about everyone. Thank you very much.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here's to wishing Murray a healthy, safe and speedy recovery and hopefully another paper scoops him up so we can read his insights again soon.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I didn't always agree with him, but well, there goes another must-read stop in my Sunday NYT...

Here's hoping Murray gets well soon and finds another outlet to entertain and inform.

Draft saved Draft deleted