1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing "good luck" to end an interview: polite or a little unethical? Awkward?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Jul 11, 2013.

1. hankschu

hankschu Member

After Lincecum's no-hitter Saturday I congratulated him and said I was happy for him. You can be objective and impartial and still step out your role for one moment after an achievement like that.

I think it's OK to say "Good luck." By no means am I saying, "Go get a win." It's more like, hey, stay healthy and compete.

All that is especially true when you've had to bang on a guy in print for years because he's been so bad.

My two cents.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Coach" is not a royalty title. It's a common job description.

These guys are already mostly afflicted with symptoms of runaway delusions of grandeur. We don't need to encourage it.

I never ever refer to any "Coach" by name, and I routinely, ruthlessly, cut it out of any copy I handle.

The coach never refers to me as "Staff Writer Starman," why do I need to make a royal production for him?

As far as saying "good luck" to close an interview, no big deal.

Saying "I hope you win" would be different.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So are Doctor, Professor, Rabbi, Judge and Governor.

4. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

Made my day spikechiquet! Had to bust out laughing, particularly because I'm in Texas and executions happen more often than rain here. :D

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I always call coaches "coach." It is their title, no different than Captain Picard, President Reagan, Grand Inquisitor Torquemada ("NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!") and Mayor Quimby.

As for wishing my interview subject "good luck" at the conclusion of an interview, I've always found that it's a harmless practice. I'm not endorsing their cause, but just being polite. I always do that and I also thank them for their time. But also, it's not something you'd say to a death row inmate.

It's like an old country saying: You attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am with Bamadog. I'd rather say coach than Tom, Nick or Harry.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I always addressed Lou Albano as "Captain." Was that wrong?

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've often thought "I hope you win" in the context of "if you don't win, you're out of the tournament, and if you're out of the tournament, the bosses have no reason to pay me to work tomorrow, and if I don't get paid enough my wife will beat me."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can we agree on an official SportsJournalists.com closing? I vote for:

"I hope you beat them bastards, sir or ma'am."

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Go with the classics. "Roll tide."

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

A lot of times when talking to coaches I'll thank them for their time and wish them good luck this week.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with being polite and human with the people we cover. I tell kids the same thing.

We're not saying, 'I really hope you pull this one out Coach!'

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Roll Tide.

Draft saved Draft deleted