1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing "good luck" to end an interview: polite or a little unethical? Awkward?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or the F-bombs.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Without starting a new thread, and along the same lines, here's a peeve of mine.
    I can't stand when a TV sideline/courtside reporter interviews the star or the head coach and finalizes by saying
    "Well, go get a shower and celebrate this huge win ..."
    or "Go enjoy what's surely your biggest win ever ..." like they are giving the person permission to leave the
    interview and rejoin their team.
    It bugs me when I hear this.

Carry on.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This may be a bit off the topic, but I think it's important.

Like it or not, when we cover teams/people for a long time, personal feelings can get involved.

I have never outwardly rooted for anyone, but I have internally. People that reject that idea are probably lying to themselves. The idea, that as a sports writer, you should be some robot that doesn't have feelings is misguided.

Covering preps a little while back, I followed a team from day one to the state championship, where they lost in crushing fashion. The next year, I did the same and they lost again in the state championship game, and again it was in brutal fashion. Covering that team for that period of time, dealing with the players and coaches and telling their stories (including particularly emotional ones), created a bit of an emotional attachment (not exactly how it felt, but I couldn't think of a better word). It didn't change my reporting at all. I still tried to pin the coach down on crucial decisions in both championship games and why he chose to make those decisions.

After it was all done (and I knew I was moving on to a different job), I pulled the coach aside to thank him for a lot of things (allowing me access, being honest when he didn't have to be, etc.). We were never social outside of our professional environment, but there was a mutual respect. In interviews, both with a group of reporters and on our own, we shared laughs and there were times when he got angry with me. In his office, talking about a story on an injured player (lost for the season) I saw him cry. That coach, as well as his players were good people and I began to care for them. Covering that team is an experience I'll never forget.

My rambling point, I guess, is that this is so not a big deal. If you want to tell good stories, sometimes you have to put yourself out there as well.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, we all have at least once or twice gotten emotionally involved in our stories.
    It happens to all journalists except maybe that rare one percent that is able to keep completely detached.
    And thanking a coach for stuff like, say, the access to lockerroom or inner team workings is completely acceptable.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I always tell the officials to keep the clock running.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Or your jailhouse interview with Charles Manson?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interview, though I personally have no rooting interest in this game and, therefore, don't care whether you or your opponent wins, I do hope you and all your players make it through the contest without any injuries or illness, and I also wish that everyone involved makes it home safely once the game, which I pray goes quickly so I can make deadline, but is also entertaining to watch, is over, beyond that I would also be pleased if all the players on both sides are free of any eligibility issues that might keep them from playing because I think it will be more interesting for everyone to see both rosters compete at full strength, that way when the season is over the standings accurately reflect the teams in the league and nobody has anything to complain about.

Or you could just stick with good luck.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Saying "good luck" or similar words is polite, nothing more or less. If you think it violates your journalistic standards, I'd lower your standards in this case.

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

Or just don't say it, honestly. I don't think it's an issue, but if you're uneasy about it then use something else. It's not as though the subject of your interview is going to be pissed you went with, "Thanks, I appreciate your time," instead of bidding them good luck.

10. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I'm not sure if it's about standards. It was more about my observation with awkward language a lot of us tend to use as empty gestures. Like I said, I've wished good luck to end conversations with boxers whose upcoming fights I didn't care about. In reality, I did appreciate the time, but winning or losing was inconsequential to me. When it's been published in the Q&A, it was usually to maintain the conversational flow for readers, especially when we didn't clean up the language in the quotes. It's very stupid in retrospect, but it was early, cringeworthy work.

Either way, thanks all for the perspectives. Good luck with the rest of your posts today.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I always close with a sincere, "Go fuck yourself."

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've been using "Good luck" to wrap up interviews long before ESPN was in everyone's household.

Don't overthink closings, it's not picking sides. Heck coaches and politicians use it all the time to each other when they meet pregame or shake before a debate. And do you think they are really wanting the other to win?

Trust me, the coach/athlete whatever knows you aren't cheering for them (unless you tell the coach, hey I have $500 on you this week, so I really hope you win). Trust me, most think you are always against them. A team can have a perfect season, win a championship and you are there for the ride, featuring the team, praising their play, etc....and somewhere someone on that team will say you were rooting against them the whole time.

Just be yourself and be professional.
    Good luck with that!

Draft saved Draft deleted