1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think there is such a thing as a hard wisdom tooth procedure. I had a small part of my back jawbone removed because the tooth was so deep. When I woke up, I was fine... the knockout juice, as IJAG called it, had me making all kinds of jokes.

I kept telling the nurse that she was "a nice lady" just like the druggie from the television commercial about parental controls on the T.V.

When my brother picked me up, we got a good laugh about how the drugs, and gauze in my mouth made me talk like I was Lil' Wayne. I then sang the refrain to "Stuntin Like My Daddy" and apparently it sounded like the real thing.

All of this is true.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Not only were all four of mine impacted, but they were coming in sideways. At least that's what the oral surgeon told us. I spent two days in the hospital because they treated it like semi-major surgery, but that may have just been the standard procedure back in those days (1974).

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hope you told him that it would be $20, or whatever the going rate is from the tooth fairy. :D

Oh, and I cast my vote for the gas.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Had all 4 removed at the same time when I was 17 on a Thursday. Took the gas and don't remember a thing about the procedure.

Played in a high school basketball game on Saturday night with a mouth full of cotton. Actually scored 6 points in very limited action.

Overall, the whole experience wasn't bad at all.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Get the gas or knocked out, whatever. Make sure your ride video tapes your come-down.

Beware of unicorns.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My cousin got knocked out for her wisdom tooth removal. The dentist wrenched her neck somehow and she was in excruciating pain for a long time. She had to go out of work on disability and years later, still has flare ups.

I'm holding onto my remaining three wisdom teeth for as long as possible. One of them is extremely impacted and has fallen over sideways. My dentist said that until it starts to bother me to just leave it alone. Apparently it will be hell to remove.

Good luck, Ryan.

7. bwright

bwright Member

At first I thought you were being a grits elitist, as in "I only eat the real thing."

Upon review, I think you're opposed to grits in general.

Either way, I give a hearty "To each his own."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd always go with the gas. There are a lot of insurance plans that don't cover it anymore though, so check ahead of time.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. My insurance covers being knocked out, but not the gas. But if I choose the gas, it's only gonna be another $20 out of my pocket all told. IF nothing else, the price was much, much, much lower than I expected for three teeth being removed in Northern Virginia.

70-30 gas.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The last procedure I had done, the gas was an extra $60 so I went without. Definitely not as much fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think I'm just gonna man up, use the laughing gas and deal with it. I just don't see the point in getting knocked out for a 15-minute thing. Maybe I'll bring my iPod and close my eyes during the whole thing. I'm guessing drinking heavily beforehand is frowned upon. :)

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I prefer this one:

Draft saved Draft deleted