1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 8, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a lot of you have had your wisdom teeth pulled. Was it a good experience? Did it suck?

Did you get knocked out for the procedure? Or did you just go with the nitrous oxide? Would you choose differently if you could do it again?

How long did it take you to recover?

Anyway....just hoping to get a feel of what I should expect May 7. Fortunately, my surgery should be pretty simple. None of the teeth are in bad shape or under the gums or whatever, so they should be easy pulls. Doc said it'll take no more than 15 minutes. My biggest decision is the IV vs. N20. Not sure I want to go through the process of knocked out for something that'll take 15 minutes, but I'm also not sure if I want to be awake while they yank three teeth. Ugh. Hate it.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was born without wisdon teeth, but without question I would get knocked out for it.

Check your Aflac policy if you have one. That might change your decision about getting knocked out or not. $$$

3. JackReacher

That's the weird thing. When I talked with the dentist and he was giving me the options, he said that I should be prepared to pay a lot more to get knocked out. But when I was given the final prices, it was actually about $20 cheaper to get knocked out. My insurance pays for that, but doesn't pay for the N20.

I'm leaning toward N20. Not sure it's worth being knocked out for a 15-minute procedure. Plus, I'll be able to drive myself home afterward.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Get knocked out, and then give your wife a day off from work to drive your ass. Drink lots of milkshakes.

I had all four pulled and I was down for the count for about a day and a half.

5. JackReacher

That's the thing. They're not impacted.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Listening to grinding, crunching and tasting blood vs. a sweet little nap.

I'll take the nap.

If you have Aflac, you might get paid to take that nap.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

It's been 20 years since I had my wisdom teeth out---2 of them if I recall.
    From what I remember, I was knocked out. I also recall that I was out for dinner that night eating spaghetti.

Good luck!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Take the nap. Fun part is when they hook you up and you first think "hey this stuff doesn't work! I'm immune! A freak of natu zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Had mine taken out last summer. Took three valium prior to surgery and they gave me a ton of laughing gas. I recall listening to my mp3 player and toward the end of the surgery, my legs were bobbin' and weavin' to the music. I could sense when the teeth were being extracted, but I didn't feel a thing during the op.

When the gas/drugs wore off during a nap, the pain was excruciating. About as bad as my appendicitis. Luckily, the pain meds were about as powerful as anything I've ever experienced.

I hate dentists and pain. I was a wreck before the operation. But overall, it wasn't bad and I'm glad I went through it. Too be honest, the worst part of the entire experience was picking food out of the craters for the next six weeks.

I had the op on a Monday. I was back to work on Wednesday and could have gone back Tuesday.

10. JackReacher

Oh man. See, that doesn't sound fun at all to me. That freaks me out, but then again, so does being aware enough to hear all the grinding, etc. that'll be going on. I might just flip a freaking coin. Ugh.

Edit: Ohhhhhh. I could listen to my iPod during the surgery? Not a terrible idea at all. Hmmmm.... Also, the pain meds they'll give me before surgery lasts six hours, giving me plenty of time to hit up the pharmacy after so that I won't have to go without for a single second.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck yeah GET KNOCKED OUT. Why stay awake for something so unpleasant. The drugs are wonderful. Take 'em all and eat some good pudding!!!!

I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago. It was 1/10th as painful as having my tonsils taken out.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got knocked out, but three of mine were impacted. I've posted the story elsewhere, but apparently I was crying in the waiting room, wandering aimlessly, and being ... well, the crazy girl on the knockout juice.

What I remember: Waking up after the procedure, thanking the girl at the front desk and saying "My friend's out there, does he have to come in or can you just trust me? I have no keys" and then walking out.

That knockout juice is the real shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted