1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisconsin's governor: Protest end of labor contracts, I'm dragging out the Guard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira

Mira Member

Walker is an idiot because he doesn't collaborate and work with people effectively, old tony. How is that going to help the state in the long run? And I didn't call you stupid, old tony. You're more politcally in the know than I am on many topics. I simply don't like Walker's tactics.

And almost every single time someone from the Madison media tries to ask him questions -- outside of a press conference setting -- he has no comment or avoids the media.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't for a second consider o_t more politically knowledgeable than you. No one should. Only thing he's more knowledgeable about is pushing buttons. And for entertainment purposes, we are generally glad for it. He certainly isn't knowledgeable about answering a question directly.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It would be a strawman had I been in Madison putting words in Walker's mouth. He said it, not me.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oops, now we need twice the bonuses just to keep up our lifestyles. Better lay off another 15%.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then eventually, the CEOs will be emptying out their own garbage cans.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yes, let's keep bowing down to the almighty CEO and the wonders of the free market. Let us give everything to these benevolent gods among men for they deserve everything they swindle from the meek.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The quickest way to cut the budgets of every state would be to do what most other companies are doing right now, lay them all off and hire back younger people at half the cost.

Considering what is actually happening, state workers are among the luckiest people in the country.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think it's awesome that public sector employees are starting to feel the utter contempt that employers in the private sector have had for its employees for decades. Of course, we won't do anything about this, other than to complain on message boards and comment sections like this one. My question is, when the upper 10 percent finally get its way, unions are destroyed and everyone makes $25,000 a year, who then will the 90 percent vigilantly attack for having it "too good?"

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That's great, but this will lead to more job cuts in the private sector as goods and services will be less affordable for those public sector employees.

The money saved by the government will go into paying off deficits (if the governments are responsible). If they aren't responsible, they'll just hand tax cuts to richer residents who in turn will sit on the money they saved.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, he said he briefed the National Guard on the possibility of major strikes and protests. And, as I pointed out, it would have been irresponsible not to.

Meanwhile, you're trying to frame the argument as: "Walker told the National Guard to start shooting public employees."

11. RickStain

You have a better way?

12. RickStain

Money doesn't disappear. When the rich sit on their money, the cost of borrowing becomes cheaper, making it easier to start and run a business, which leads to more employment.

I'm not saying that there aren't more or less efficient ways to distribute money, or that there aren't valid social reasons making sure the middle class is strong, but I'm skeptical of "Giving money to the middle class is the best way to maintain the economy" coming from the middle class. They have a vested interest in believing that.

Assuming that running government more efficiently would be a bad thing because of the decreased buying power of its employees is nothing but broken-window fallacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.