1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisconsin's governor: Protest end of labor contracts, I'm dragging out the Guard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first time in Wisconsin that happened. (See my link above)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. And the big difference today is how much media there is. Back then, you just had newspapers.

If a National Guard opened fire on Americans today, imagine all the hell that would break loose.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Collective bargaining rights are protected by U.S. law. The Governor could find the Wisconsin National Guard ordered to arrest HIM.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The frightening part about this scenario is that half the people on TV would be arguing that the protesters deserved it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My level of sympathy for state and government employees has been at zero for some time now...

Every time I hear about these people who get countless weeks of vacation a year and have pension plans that would make the military jealous and it sickens me.

The country has been at/near/above 10 percent unemployment and state workers bitch about small pay cuts that will prevent layoffs.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Which is not quite the same issue as calling a wing of the military to head off people carrying picket signs.

7. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong, I think he's taking things a bit far, but I don't think what he's asking for is unreasonable in today's economic state.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Then why not be willing to collectively bargain for it?

Also, these employees have been given three weeks of furloughs.

9. Mizzougrad96

Three weels of furloughs over how many years? I'll bet it's more than one.

I'm just sick of state workers thinking they should be exempt from dealing with the recession. I have relatives who have state jobs. They should kiss the ground every day that they have such a ridiculously easy job where almost nobody is held accountable for anything.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No state workers in my state believe they are exempt from the recession.

Your clueless bullshit rhetoric does nothing but create class warfare.

Clearly this governor's ideas are atrocious if they require the National Guard to enforce them.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, state workers have the utterly middle class wages and benefits (except for cops and firemen, who always get sweetheart deals due to their political clout) that most workers had 50 years ago. The problem isn't them -- it's the system that has shattered private sector wages and benefits, which is not due to the recession, as wages haven't gone up in real terms in 40 years, but the power of organized capital, wealth in other words, to totally run our society for its own benefit.
    They do it through the idea you expressed, get people to believe that the problem isn't that they're getting screwed, it's that somebody no different from them ISN'T getting screwed. Thanks to the American psychotic belief in nonexistent rugged individualism, a particularly strong trait in males, the trick works.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Mizzou, it was 16 furlough days over two years.

I agree with TSP's sentiment... who believes they are exempt from the recession? Where did you get that from? And they should kiss the ground for having ridiculously easy jobs? Seriously? Bullshit rhetoric indeed.

I will reiterate what I said earlier... how do you know what they will or will not agree to until you make an attempt at collective bargaining?

"The state's broke," Walker said. "Local governments are broke. They don't have anything to offer."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.